Chapter Seven

"You couldn't get any more vacation time," teased the owner, when he saw how pensive Jack was as he entered the kitchen.

Jack immediately plastered a smile on his face, but he couldn't fool Sue. "Actually, the contrary. How long can you keep us?"

"For as long as you wish, except for the last week of July."

"Even then, we could use Darryl's room," said his wife. Their grown-up son was long gone.

"So?" inquired the owner, amusingly. "How long will I be able to count on your occasional help with a hammer?"

"Weeks, maybe a month," he said as Sue's eyes widened. "Remember that big case I am working on?" He looked at his wife. "Out of the blue the other side agreed to a settlement."

"It sounds good to me," commented the owner.

"It is," confirmed Jack. "My client is very happy. It just makes me wonder if I missed something and couldn't have gotten an even better settlement."

The owner shook his head, laughing.

Sue knew there was much more to the story, she just prayed no one was hurt, as she played along. "I like that we can stay longer." As she said it, she realised she really meant it.

By early evening, they had repaired most of the damage. Tomorrow the owner would give it the finishing touch before getting to the paint job.

Jack took Sue for a walk on the beach. They sat on the white sand. She looked at him anxiously. He told her everything. Her eyes filled with tears as he mentioned Vanessa's parents.

"Should we drive there tonight?" Jack asked.

"Would it make the news here?"

Good question, thought Jack. If it did she shouldn't learn it that way. He offered his hand and pulled her up. They slowly walked back as Jack finished the story.

***

Without going into too much details, Jack told Vanessa that her mom died of an overdose and her dad was shot by some people he was doing business with. It shocked the Nielsons, but didn't seem to overly surprise Vanessa.

"He had shady associates and I didn't trust them," she whispered, her face solemn.

"And they were not to be trusted, either," confirmed Jack. "It would probably be best if you didn't venture back just yet. If your family was targeted, we don't want you to become the next victim."

"But the last homage to—" began Molly.

"No." Vanessa was shaking her head vigorously. "I don't want to go."

Jack and Sue knew anger and resentment were talking, not Vanessa. It took a bit longer, but at the end, Jack was able to convince the Nielsons that Vanessa's decision was a sound one, even though, deep down he didn't agree with it.

Patrick walked them to their car. The light on the veranda was on and Sue could read easily the man's lips.

"Will you tell me who you really are?" asked Patrick in a low voice. Jack arched a brow, and came to object when Patrick continued. "You don't act like any lawyer I know, and you know more than you should."

Jack sighed.

"You have to trust us," whispered Sue. "We honestly want the best for Vanessa."

"That I believe, or you wouldn't be welcome in my house, Naomi."

"Vanessa's life is in danger," said Jack. "Her father was caught in illegal activities. A deal went sour and her dad was eliminated so he wouldn't talk. If the word was out that his daughter was alive, she would be next."