Home

Contains mature themes. Read with caution. Grab the tissues...

(Jean's POV)

Today is the day I've been dreading ever since I had to write it on the calendar. A day of depression without a glass of hope around. I pick up my phone and I have a text from Armin.

Hey... wanted to see how you're doing?

Armin... how do you think I'm doing? Today's my husband's funeral. I can't do anything. He was my home. I just feel lonely.

Marco will be missed. Just be happy for me. You're my friend and I don't want you hurt.

Thank you Armin

I walk over to my closet and pull out the tux that I'd never thought I would wear again. It still smells like him. The deep black cloth. So many memories from the day we got married. Then I begin to think on our promise to each other.

The sweet smell of the ocean. But my mind can only focus on one thing. Those gosh darn cute freckles. His beautiful face. Those two beautiful words I do.

"Jean... can you promise me something?"

"Well I just promised to be with you forever so yes of course. I will. If I could I would promise you the world." I say and kiss his cheek.

"Ok... this is serious. Whoever leaves this world first I want the other to wear the others wedding tux... just as more of a promise."

I smile at him sweetly.

"Of course we can do that."

I wrap my arms around his waist and kiss his forehead.

It feels so weird in his suit. I never thought when I made that promise he would be the one to leave me. It's only been a week. If only he would have looked two ways for that car. That stupid fucking car. I miss him. There's like this whole in my heart. He was the only thing that made me happy. An empty space void of feeling and a sharp knife to remind me to feel pain.

I brush down my hair and begin to walk outside. I get in the car and begin to drive. I turn to look at the empty seat. Who would have thought you would have left me this way? You said you'd never leave me 'till death do us part. You never broke a promise. I turn on some music to drown out my thoughts.

Broken Home comes on.

I turn off the radio. Nowhere I can go to escape you. I then arrive. Everyone else is here. Even Eren. The same question. Are you ok? The simple answer is I'm fine. But that's not what I want to say. I want to say that why would I be okay? That the only thing I ever cared about is gone. Pink Carnations run around his grave. They were always his favorite symbolizing that wherever we are we will never forget the other.

After standing around and putting on a brave face it was time for him to go away. The one thing Marco told me in the hospital comes to my mind.

Tears stream my face as I look at Marco's fading body. He puts his hand on my cheek rubbing the tears away.

"Jean, Don't cry. Don't think of this as me dying but me heading to another life."

"But you're leaving me... I can't survive without you."

"Promise me... you'll burn my body and wear my ashes around your neck along with my ring."

He smiles as he hands me his wedding ring. I nod.

"Jean... I love you I always have."

"I love you too Marco..."

Then the sound. The threatening sound. The only heartbeat in the room was mine.

I whisper, "Don't take away my home."

It was time for us to burn his body. I already had the vial I would use for his ashes and around it was his ring. I stand there waiting. The heat so close to my face. After an hour waiting I walk up. I scoop some of the ashes and put them in the vial. Before I put the vial around my neck I kiss it. They put the remaining ashes in an urn. I know I should feel peace as I have completed his promises, but I can't. He didn't keep my promise.

I wrap my arms around Marco from behind and whisper in his ear as we stand in front of our new house.

"Don't let me ever lose my home."

I don't know if he knew what I meant as I said those words. But he smiled.

"I promise."

I wish I was prepared. Instead of staying like I was meant to I drive back to our house. I sit down on the bed on his side and then put my hands in my pocket. A piece of paper is there. Two words. Come home.

I throw the piece of paper down and run to the bathroom. If only I would have taken a second look at that piece of paper. It was blank. My mind had thought it up.

I look into the mirror and open a cabinet. I pull out a bottle. The little white capsules inside will save me. They'll allow me to breathe again. I swallow each and every one with only one thing in mind. I turn on the radio and our song comes on. Before I rest I grab his blanket. The one he had at the hospital. I take a deep breath. It still smells like him. I then allow sleep to overcome me with only one thing in mind. Before I fall into temptation I whisper, "I promise."

I feel someone shaking me awake. And another screaming my name. I open my eyes and see him. Marco. Someone else is screaming. Armin at one side and Marco at the other. Marco smiles at me and kisses my forehead.

"Welcome home."

We stand up hand in hand and walk off into the sun. I didn't care anymore. I was with him and that's all that matters to me.

Coming home is the most beautiful thing.

Home...