"I try."

Head resting on his hand lazily, eyes glassy and vacant, jaw hanging slightly open, breathing shallowly. It was almost like he was sleeping with his eyes open. No one could get his attention. He would sit down at the table with his drink and just daydream. By the time he decided to snap out of it his coffee was cold. Every time. Sometimes I'd attempt to smile at him but he never looked, just ordered his drink and walked straight to his seat, regaining his usual position and daydreaming.

I didn't think he was happy. But then again he never looked sad. He didn't look anything. Just vacant. His eyes glossed over like he wasn't really seeing what was in front but a whole other reality. Once he knocked his coffee on his lap and didn't react for almost a minute, suddenly swearing and knocking the cup off of his soaked jeans. It was the only time I ever saw him convey an emotion.

After 6 months and 3 weeks of watching him I decided to try and start a conversation.

He walked into the cafe at the usual time, making his way to the counter with his long and unbalanced stride, his fairly tatty shoes squeaking on the harsh polished floor. He spoke quietly to the waitress and I realised I'd never really heard his voice. Excluding the time he shouted about the spilt drink. I waited for him to get his drink and walk to his table before getting up, hesitantly sitting at the seat opposite him. He'd already gained his trance like state, his lips pressed into a firm line and his eyes squinting slightly as he stared at the table.

"A-are you okay?" I asked carefully, biting my lip and watching him. Ten minutes of no response left me frustrated, back at my table.

The same thing happened for about a week before I got a response.

"Me?" He mumbled and blinked rapidly, eyes boring into me. I nodded and swallowed, smiling uncertainly.

"You just looked like you were in your own little world or something.." I laughed awkwardly, getting used to not getting an answer out of the stranger.

"I try." He shrugged and stood up, smiling slightly before leaving the cafe with his unbalanced walk and squeaky shoes.