Chapter Four

The next morning, I still sat wide awake on my branch. I couldn't even try to sleep last night so I just let Conrad sleep while I whistled to the ants. When I saw the sun coming up, I dropped from the branch rolling on the ground before standing up. I walked deeper into the woods and started to pick some fresh fruit from the trees before bringing them back to the others.

As I neared the came I could hear Slivko and Conrad racing around shouting my name. I just laugh as I make my way out of the forest. I shrug my shoulders signaling towards the fruit and their mouths drop at the sight.

"Mangos, papaya, passion fruit, jackfruit and dragon fruit." I set all the fruit on the ground whilst giving off their names. "Choose your pick."

I keep a dragon fruit for myself and watch as they all grab their own. While Victor and San chowed down on mangos, the others came to me asking if I could open their fruits up. Pulling out my katana I slice up the fruit and everyone digs in.

After the amazing breakfast, we pack up camp and leave deeper into the woods. Conrad led the way while I picked up the caboose. I had my bow at the ready with an arrow in it while scanning around making sure everyone was safe.

"Stay tight," Conrad says and I look up to see we were entering Iwi territory.

"What the hell is this?" Slivko asks.

We all just ignore him and make our way into the worn down structure. I keep my eyes peeled and look for any signs of moving on the walls. Iwi's had to be hiding on the walls, it was their security system of sorts.

Finally, Mason screeches and I realize we've been caught. Everyone gets into a circle, backs touching each other and I hold up my bow. Once everything came to a calm and we all had our weapons pointed at the Iwi's and vice versa, I heard the familiar voice of Hank as he ran into the structure.

"No need for that. Come on now!" Hank says and makes his way to the front of the group. I stayed out of sight of the old man, crouching behind Conrad. "Everybody keep your wigs on now!"

"What?" Slivko whispers confused about the old man's tactics.

"I didn't believe it when they said you would come," Hank says. "I was up all night... just thinking about how me and Gunpei dreamt to this moment. And now here it is. 28 years, 11 months...8 failed attempts to get back to the world and instead the world comes to me? Wait a second... Alexandria!"

Conrad moves over and I lower my bow before walking forward with a small smile.

"Hello, Hank," I greet and he engulfs me in a hug. I pat him on the back and choke out, "Can't breathe."

He lets go of me and looks me over. Last time he saw me I was just a little girl with nowhere to go.

"Well, you are more beautiful... than a hot dog and a beer at Wrigley Field on opening day," He says and I laugh a little. The Iwi's lower their weapons and I smile at them.

"There's something out there, man," Slivko says and I turn back to the group.

"There is a lot out there," Hank says and I nod. "Now, come on. We gotta get home. You don't wanna be out here at night."

*~*

When we made it back to the Iwi camp, I decided to walk off not wanting another welcome tour from Hank. I had decided to take a seat on a dock of sorts next to the makeshift boat Hank had been working on with his pal Gunpei. I was pricking at my bow strung making it hum a low tune, when I heard Hank's voice.

I turn around to see them walking my way towards the boat. I stay seated and continue to strum my bow. The others agree to help Hank fix his boat and Mason runs off to take some more pictures.

"Hey, Alex!" Slivko calls and I look up at him. "Want to help me with the engine?"

"I'm no mechanic," I admit and stand up.

"Well then you can pass me the tools I need," He says and sticks his hand out. I grab it and climb onto the boat. He drops down into the engine and I take a seat next to a tool box above him.

"Okay, so we've got 48 hours to make it to the North Shore," Conrad says and I look up at him. "Slivko, do you know what you're doing back there?"

"Yeah, my pop's a mechanic," Slivko says. "If I can't fix this, he'll disown me. If he ever sees me again."

"You'll see him again," I tell the boy, he looks up at me with a faint smile before going back to the engine. Deciding that if I was just going to sit here in the sun, I set my weapons aside and pull off my hood.

"Ouch," Slivko says and points to my shoulder. I look over at it to see it was now a huge blue and purple mess mixed with red scratches. "What happened?"

"I was ducking out of the way of your helicopter that was about to kill me," I tell him.

"Sorry," he whispers. "I was the pilot and sorta lost control."

"What about the cubs?" Hanks voice shouts and we look back at him. "Have they won a world series yet?"

"The cubs?" Slivko says. "Not even close. Were they ever good?"

"That's happens to be my team," Hank says offended. "Where are you from?"

"Detroit," Slivko smiles. Looking at him I smile at his smile and tune out the rest of their conversation just watching him. Then he stands up and I listen in again. "Hey who do you think will win in a fight? A tiger or a cub?"

"A tiger will win," Hank admits. Slivko just nods with a smug look on his face before going back down into the engine. I laugh at their silliness and hand him a wrench. Hank just mumbles something before Victor speaks up.

"We also put a man on the moon," Victor says and I nod.

"I was there for that," I speak up.

"No kidding," Hank says astonished. "What did they do? Just leave him out there? What's he eating?"

"Tang, spam," Victor says and I laugh some more with Slivko. He brings up a large tube thing and sets it in my lap, before leaning forward on his elbows towards me.  We were so close to each other and my heart started to speed up.

"What is this guy crazy or something?" He asks and I shake my head with a smile.

"Or something," I say and Slivko just chuckles before going back under the deck.

"Come on," Conrad says and I look over at him to see him bending over a table screwing something in. "We're losing daylight."

I shrug and look back at Slivko's mess of brown hair. I was curious about something, so I just had to ask. "Hey, Slivko." He looks up at me. "What's your first name?"

"Reg," He says and goes back to work. Reg, it's a nice name for a nice boy.