Blue: Unravelling Hearts

It's September, and after a long summer of love, laughter and light, things have never been better.

You've recently moved into your university dorm, located just a few blocks away from Peter's new place. Your soulmate's attending the same college as you and despite your schedules being completely different, you still get a healthy amount of Peter a week. Each day you find yourself falling more and more for the man, and though you wouldn't say you're in love, the butterflies that burst through your chest whenever you see him are a sure indicator that you're almost there. And you really want to fall in love with Peter, if not only for yourself, but also for him.

Things on the colour front have been fairly static recently. Following the arrivals of yellow, orange, green, purple and pink, you're yet to gather any of the others; most noticeable of these being red and blue, and if you're being honest, you're starting to feel guilty that you haven't fallen for him yet. You know he craves to know red, but until you can say the words 'I love you' and believe them, you're holding him back.

You want to give Peter red so badly, but you just aren't there yet.

But now it's a rainy Thursday and you're back in your dorm room with Peter lying on the bed beside you. You've been lucky; your room belongs to you and only you, and without a roommate, you've been able to squeeze a double bed into the space. Callie helped decorate, so the neutral cream of the walls is combined with various green accents, predominantly coming from an array of plants scattered around. With a vibrant stripey carpet covering the floor, the place finally feels like home.

"How was that maths test?" You ask Peter, remembering the test he'd spent the previous night cramming for.

Your boyfriend, from where he's sprawled over the edge of your bed as he lazily types up a chemistry report, takes the distraction and rolls with it. With a large grin, he pushes the laptop away and crawls up your bed until he's settled beside you against the headboard, looping a warm arm around your neck and pulling you into his chest. "It was fine," he finally says, fingers stroking the top of your arm. "How was your day?"

You shrug, burrowing your face into the soft front of his hoodie. "It was alright," you reply, enjoying the feeling of your cheeks nestled into his front. "A lot better since you turned up, though."

He chuckles lowly, voice vibrating across your cosy room. "Smooth, angel." The pet name drips from his lips like honey, and you find yourself shivering.

"I love it when you call me that," you admit, feeling him squeeze you lovingly. "You're so cute."

You can't see his face, but the way his voice squeaks slightly as he speaks suggests his beautifully round cheeks are dusted in a rosy pink blush, "You're cute," he corrects. "'N besides, I'm just telling it how it is. You're a smooth criminal, baby. Waltzed straight in and stole my heart."

You sigh happily, a moment of comfortable silence filling the space as you slowly recharge. Just being around Peter is enough to make you feel stronger, and though you know that's a perk of being soulmates, you also know that his aura of relaxed calm is a part of it.

"Hey, um... Real quick, what kind of things make you feel sad?"

You quirk an eyebrow, a little confused by the random question. "A lot of things, I guess," you begin to answer, voice laced with bewilderment. "Sad things... When animals get injured, or people get hurt, or when people die on TV shows; those are all pretty sad. Why?"

He shrugs, the movement dislodging you somewhat. "Jus' wondering."

A brief silence continues, only to be interrupted when he speaks up again.