"I-I- Can't go home." She trembled softly.

The boy whose name she had yet to know looked at her strangely. Off course he would. What normal thirteen-year-old can't go to their own home?

"Why?"

"I-I J-just can't." she replied hoping that he'd somehow understand.

"Well you can't stay here like this. It's getting dark soon." He responded standing up. He looked around for a while like he was searching for something. "Okay...I'll bring you to my home."

Myah's eyes bulged at his statement.

"N-no that's okay, y-you don't have to." She quickly rejected his offer. She immediately thought the young boy to be crazy. First, he willingly offers her his shirt for her bloody arms and legs and now this?

"Why not? You said you can't go to your home...So I'll bring you to mine." He stated so simply.

Myah saw that it was no use in arguing with him. It was getting late and she couldn't stay out on the streets, and there was no way she was going back home after she barely escaped.

So, the two of them walked down the street to his house. He supported her body as she limped slowly alongside him.

As expected, Christian's parents had many questions as to why their son brought home an injured black girl. They were shocked and rather worried about her well being much to Myah's surprise. Having growing up in an abusive family, she was never the one to experience care and genuine concern from others.

The boy's parents quickly took action and nursed Myah's wounds. Christian helped by keeping her company and telling her funny stories to cheer her up. That day despite everything that occurred, Myah was actually happy for once in her life.

Unfortunately, after joy comes sorrow. Myah had to go back to hell. When asked about her parents she had to try her best to lie so that they didn't bring it to the authorities. If that happened she'd have to be put into foster care because they would surely arrest her father.

Truth be told Myah wasn't remotely scared for her father,she had no feeling of love towards him but she didn't hate him. She hated what he did and how he treated her. Myah was afraid for herself. She didn't want to be put into foster care to end up with a family who she had no idea about.

Luckily for her, Myah was able to convince Christian's parents that she was okay and didn't need any help. She'd have try her best to stay out of her father's way to avoid any suspicion.

As for her and Christian, that day was the birth of a fruitful friendship between the two of them.

Five years down the line and the two became close as two peas in a pod. Where Myah was, so was Christian and vice versa. He became her only friend throughout her years of high school.

It took her some time but she finally opened up to him about her life and abusive father. There had come a time where she couldn't hide the bruises on her skin anymore and Christian knew something was definitely wrong.

Myah  feared that he would hate her after knowing her truth and would want nothing to do with her again. She had already geared her heart for the pain that would come after she told him but thankfully it never did. If anything, it brought them closer.