Chapter Five

Training was more than the obstacles, as it would soon turn out. The obstacle courses did test our agility, but when we reached thirteen, he switched us over to a new regimen. This new schedule was more focused on our powers, and tested our bending abilities. We were often led to separate training rooms, each adjusted to accommodate our respective powers. Mine, for example, was freezing cold, and like the rest of my brothers' rooms, big enough to fit the old course in. I admit, by the time we were all done for the day, my body would often be screeching in agony, and I wanted nothing more than to rest at home.

When we reached sixteen, we were fully trained, to the best Professor Dekapan could manage. He'd sworn us to good at the end, and told us if we ever went rouge, he'd be the one to bring us down. That's definitely not something you tell to six teenagers whose main concerns are staying low in school so they don't get picked on. Not exactly very encouraging, either. But, again, I digress.

Then, the six of us were on our own. It was disappointing, being led to believe our feet were firmly planted on a path of great destiny, only to turn out that our lives were mundane. Well, as mundane as being sextuplets can possibly be, I guess. So, we ended up graduating high school without being asked to save anyone. Except Chibita, I guess. But we didn't do it with our powers. 

Looking back, I'm not sure why we didn't tell any of our friends. I bet anything that maybe Hatabou, Totoko and Chibita would have understood. Looking at how we've all grown up, I can kind of see why. Totoko would probably sell us out for a couple hundred thousand yen. Hatabou probably would be indifferent and Chibita? He ended up finding out through us. I still remember the aftermath of me dragging him away and us returning to the cart.

"Spit it out, idjits." he'd said, hopping back onto his stool. I noticed Choromatsu's eyebrow arch. As I settled down, I secretly chilled my drink with my ice. I admit, this is one way I abuse my powers, but it's worth it because I get to have a chilly drink anytime. "What do you want us to even tell you?" Choromatsu grumbled, and I felt something collide with my arm for a moment. Jyushimatsu had bumped my arm, causing some of my soda to spill over the brim. His dopey grim was present as always, and pink tinged his ears and flushed his cheeks.

"Well, there's no way ya all have the same powers. Just spill, I promise my trap's sealed" Chibita retorted, pinching his thumb and  index finger and sliding them across his lips. My brother sighed, and he flicked his green eyes upwards. "I have life," Choromatsu admitted, and the breeze seemed to get colder. Karamatsu rested his forearms on the burgundy wood.  "Wind, my love. That's my element," he said, his blue eyes sparkling more painfully than usual.

"Fire," Osomatsu drunkenly slurred, his green eyes focused on the beer he was busy chugging. "Water," Todomatsu chimed in, sharply jerking away from Osomatsu. Jyushimatsu said nothing, letting the spark that leapt outwards from his body speak for him. I was silent. "Ichimatsu?" Chibita poked my arm, and I instinctively pulled it back towards me. "Kittymatsu? Hello?" he poked again, and I sighed. It felt my lungs had deflated.

"I have ice," I mumbled, barely audible. I hated admitting I even had powers, even more than I hated my life. "Eh? I didn't hear you," Chibita said, his thin eyebrows forming into confused arches. "I have ice," I repeated, only slightly louder. "Really? You don't master dark? Or poison? Just ice?" Chibita questioned, surprise taking over his confusion. I sighed, and a wave of sadness hit me.

I hate being reminded that my element is completely unfitting. "Shut up," I growled, my tone more hostile than I'd intended. "Aw, geez, okay. idjit..." Chibita grumbled, wrangling the pitcher of alcohol from Osomatsu, my brother growling protectively like some sort of animal. After hitting Osomatsu on the head with his ladle, Chibita wrestled the pitcher from his fingers and began to run a rag over it, polishing the dirtying glass.

"You can't tell a single soul, okay? You're sworn to secrecy, Chibita. Our fates lay in your hands, and if you tell someone, we'll die. Okay?" Choromatsu said, suddenly taking a tone that made me lowkey anxious. "Alright, you idjits. I won't tell a single soul. Only because, believe it or not, I do care about ya guys' wellbeing," he said, and my brother dipped his head. My stomach dipped.

Okay, I admit. We may be overreacting to the world around us, but it's better to be cautious about hiding our powers than ending up dead, with our heads on pikes like in the olden days. I, personally, would not like to die before I reach thirty. I know, it's dramatic.

The day my brother went missing was surprisingly mundane. Well, as mundane as finding out your little brother was kidnapped. Or, as words would better put it, it was a completely normal day. Up until the rock came flying through our window. 

Our parents were out that afternoon, and we were all relaxed around the living room. I was laying on the couch, curled up as my eyelids drooped, a few moments from finally drifting off to dreamland. Jyushimatsu had gone out for a stroll an hour prior, and he hadn't returned, but none of us were very concerned. Sometimes, he spent hours outside, and we just didn't question it. 

That was, until the crash. 

Glass splattered all over the ground, and all of us had jumped miles into the air with the sudden crash. "What the fuck?!" Osomatsu cried out, slammed against the wall. The window had a large, cracked hole in it, the cold air seeping in and chilling the room. We all let our bodies release the tension. Choromatsu's eyebrows arched, and he picked up the rock in the center of the glass explosion. There was a sheet of notebook paper attached, a string tied around the small stone slab, connecting to a hole in the paper.

Choromatsu unfolded the paper, scanned it with his blazing green eyes, and his face went pale.

 "Oh, fuck.." was all he uttered.