You Owe Him

You slowly open your eyes.

You immediately feel a a sharp headache, and gently press your hand to the back of your head, where the pain was coming from.

As your vision focuses, you sit up and look around. Where were you?

You were in what looked like a spare bedroom. There was one window that had the blinds drawn, a small dresser, a mirror, a bookshelf, and a closet. It was a pretty small room, but everything fit good.

But still- where were you?

The last thing you remembered was seeing Nina and Benny, then you had a wisp of a memory of falling- but that was it. How had you ended up here? Why did you even fall in the first place?

You look around for hints of your location, then freeze when you see a hat sitting on top of the dresser.

Specifically, a flat cap.

Specifically, a black flat cap.

Specifically, a black flat cap with white stripes.

Oh, great.

You suddenly hear footsteps coming towards your room, and sit up even straighter.

Wait, no, that would look way too tense.

You slouch back down a little.

The door handle turns slowly, and creaks a little before it opens.

Your stomach does a flip upon seeing Usnavi in the doorway, looking the most nervous you've ever seen him, clutching an ice pack. He also looks a little pale.

You're also surprised to see him without his hat on. You've never really seen him without it on. He looks really different- but in a good way, of course. Different good. He looks really  handsome.

"Y/N," he says, surprised. "You're awake."

"Um, yeah," you respond awkwardly.

"Did I wake you up?", he asks, worry written all over his face.

"Oh, no, I woke up on my own," you say. "Um, so, what happened? Why am I at your house? In your room?"

Usnavi sighs, then walks over and sits on the edge of the bed. He hands you the ice pack, and you gently press it to the back of your head.

"Well, um, you were walking, and were about to go around a corner, and I was about to go around that corner too, so we didn't see each other, so we ran into each other and you fell backwards." He looks away, then back at you. "I'm sorry, I wasn't sure what to do, so I just went on impulse. I carried you to my house, then had Mrs. Rosario come and look at you. She said she didn't think that you had a concussion, but it would be best to not move you around too much. I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?"

"Well, I wasn't sure if you thought it was fine that I brought you to my house instead of a hospital or something."

"Oh." You glance at the clock on the wall, and see that it's 11:00 am. "How long was I out?"

Usnavi glances at the clock too. "Um, sixteen hours."

"Sixteen hours? ", you ask in surprise. "Wow." You look around again, and see how much he's really been taking care of you. There were plenty of pillows on the bed and extra blankets to make sure you didn't get cold. You were guessing that he came in routinely to ice your head, and he had even had Camilia come and make sure that you were fine. "Thank you so much for... everything, Usnavi. I really owe you one." You pause, then remember how he had punched Carlos. "Well, a couple, actually," you laugh.