2.18 Lei and Bian

Start from the beginning

He was referring to Bu Gui cave, where Zuo ZhouLei had obtained his sword.

"Because, I have to show you those ... things. Otherwise you wouldn't even bat an eyelid and would just say I was overreacting." Ming gestured her chin towards the swirling blackness outside the barrier, and did not forget to grumble about Lei's skewed priority for a certain white flower's spirit.

Lei sighed. The rest did not need to be explained.

Bu Gui cave still contained pure energy – as pure as it could get. It could easily be used by the deities to be a portal to the mortal world. However, there was no malice in the cave. Perhaps not yet; while in this small lake, the malice had started to take over the pure energy of the site. Only where the red lotus bloomed and within the vicinity of the barrier, the qi was still uncontaminated. However, as soon as the barrier dispersed, malice would take over the lake.

"He... cannot wait any longer, can he?" This time Lei directed his question towards Yue, "Bian... is getting weaker, isn't he?"

Tian Ming nodded her head with forlorn expression,

"It's all karma. As the guardian of the Endless Water, Bian accumulated too much bad karma through his involvement in mortal fates, and finally came to this inevitable punishment. But Lei.. he is ... our brother, your brother. Imperial Brother, the Heavenly King, also asked me to seek your help. Besides, the only one who can stop malice from pouring out of the Endless water, is him."

Yue added further,

"Lei. My cultivation, my karma, my power, is not strong enough to sustain Bian's ancient soul. Only you can help him. Tian Ming and the Heavenly King cannot do this as well as they also have not accumulated enough karma – none of them have ever gone through the mortal tribulations through incarnations like you already have."

----------

The oldest of the Tians – the Heavenly King – had the responsibility of guarding the immortal realms and setting order for the citizens of heaven.

The third brother of the Tians – the Hell King – had the responsibility of guarding hell, the underworld.

The fourth brother of the Tians – Tian Bian – was the Seer, the Guardian of Endless Water. His duty was to look after the souls passing the domain of his power on their journey from the worlds to their next cycle of reincarnation, or to the underworld.

The fifth was the only female – Tian Ming. She was the Scribe of Fate.

Of all the Tians, the only one who had to go through tribulations was the second – Tian Lei, the sky deity.

Heaven only existed in heaven, hell only existed in hell; the Endless Water also existed in the plane of the immortals as well. The Scribe of Fate also could never leave her domain, even if that was to accumulate karma for herself. The four Tians, apart from Tian Lei – were bound by their respective responsibilities and their domains. Two had absolute power over heaven and hell; two had the prestige to write and watch over fates. One might say they had the ultimate power, but they had the ultimate loneliness as well.

There were myriads of worlds, innumerable realms where life and death regulated the life of mortals residing in it. Tian Lei was the only one who could be incarnated through those worlds and still had his soul linked to his domain. After all, the sky was always everywhere, no matter which world he appeared and was reincarnated in. Hence, Tian Lei carried the burden of the Tians, accumulating karma for the whole Imperial clan, undergoing the tribulations needed to sustain his and his siblings' power to keep doing their responsibility.