Chapter 12

Love Field

Sunday 24th November 1963

10am

Jack and Jackie got out of the car. Jackie was wearing Jack’s bomber jacket. “Would you like to go talk to the press?” Jack asked.

“You can I’ll just stand there.”

Jack nodded.

As they made their way over the press put their cameras away out of respect. “How are you feeling Mrs Kennedy?”

“Tired.”

“Are you going back to Washington?”

“We will but tomorrow we’ll be flying to Hyannis Port. I’d like you to respect our privacy at this difficult time.” Jack replied.

The press nodded.

He and Jackie then headed for Air Force One. He helped her up the steps slowly. He guided her gently to their private cabin. “I’m going to go for a sleep, I had a restless night.” Jackie said.

“Ok kid, I’m going to my office but I’ll be back shortly.”

Jackie nodded before lying down. Jack tucked her in and placed a kiss on her cheek.

Jack quietly went into his office and sat down on the sofa. This was the first time he’d been completely alone since they’d lost the baby. He sat hugging his knees. He wasn’t going to tell Jackie but he wasn’t coping.

3pm

Washington DC

When Air Force One touched down Jack found Jackie still asleep. He gently shook her shoulders. “Jackie wake up kid.”

Her eyes slowly flickered open. “Are we here?”

“Yes.”

Jackie nodded and got up. She pulled Jack’s jacket on again before fixing her hair. Jack took her hand and they headed out into the cool air. The press silently stood there taking pictures, it proved too much for Jackie and tears started falling from her eyes.

Jack quickly stopped and embraced her. “Everything’s going to be okay kid; I promise we just need to get home.”

Jackie nodded and dried her eyes. Once they were in the car Jack held his wife close. “It’s going to be okay I promise.”

Jackie nodded.

When they got to the White House Pierre was waiting to meet them. He opened the door for Jackie but much to his surprise she got out and hugged him. She was crying violently, he gently rubbed her back in a friendly motion. Jack soon appeared at his side. The President looked like he’d been to hell and back.

“Come on Jackie we’ll go upstairs.” Jack said.

She pulled back and nodded. Much to Pierre’s surprise she looked him straight in the eye and fixed his collar. “I’m sorry.” Jackie said before taking Jack’s hand. “It’s alright Mrs Kennedy.”