Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

I arrived at Dan’s Roadkill half an hour earlier than my scheduled shift. I hadn’t felt much like cooking, and eating at Dan’s was healthier than fast food, not to mention nearly as cost effective with my fifty-percent employee discount. Gotta love the perks of being a waitress.

After I finished my cobb salad in the break-room, I got my apron from my locker, switched it out with my purse, and clocked in.

Naomi and I were on a two-map. Normally at this time, it’s more than enough, but the dinner rush tonight was heavier than usual. At the peak of the rush, we each had twelve tables a piece, which was almost double the usual. Danny did his best to help, running food, seating guests, and getting refills.

“Must be a full moon tonight,” Naomi said with a wolfish smile, as she popped open two bottles of Dos Equis. A brown lock of hair fell into her eyes, and she blew it away.

“Right?” It’s what we always said to explain weirdo customers or unusual occurrences at Dan’s; for instance, tonight’s strange influx of consumers.

We went our separate ways into the fray, not exactly having the luxury to chat. It was pretty much chaos after that, until Becca, Summer and Shawn arrived. Summer took over the bar, while Becca and Shawn helped cover the floor.

Summer wasted no time getting down to business. She was a bartending legend. When it came to mixing drinks, Summer had the hands of a Goddess. Customers loved her. She was warm, bright, and beautiful—just like the season after which she was named.

 Summer’s movements were flawless and fluid. I admired her poise and ability to get things done fast without appearing to be in a hurry. Customers liked that. They didn’t want to feel rushed, they wanted to feel special, and Summer was great at that.

You can usually tell how good a server is by the tips they make, and based on Summer’s money-makin’ abilities, you’d think she was a stripper. She made twice as much as I did, and I’m damn good at my job. Granted, it might have something to do with her naturally golden blonde locks or D-cup bra. She’s not half the ditz she looks, though, which is why I like her so much.

Shawn stepped up beside me at the soda station. He was beaming and looking hunky as usual. He was also the only male waiter in the joint. Danny had a tendency to butt heads with the male staff, so he usually kept the guys in the kitchen. Shawn used to be a cook, but after two of our girls simultaneously quit, Dan made him a server to help pick up the slack.

I loved working with Shawn. He’s a great guy, hard worker, and he’s good at keeping the mood light. Whenever we got stressed out of our minds, he would always know just what to say to make us laugh. Plus, it helped that he didn’t hurt to look at. Shawn’s pretty much every Texas girls’ dream—all muscle and manners. But I was a California girl at heart. He may be dreamy and easy on the eyes, but I liked my boys with a bit more edge. The “wrong side of the tracks” kinda guy. Summer says that’s ‘cause I’ve got Daddy issues. I know that to be a load of bull though, because my Dad was a saint—both my parents had been.

“Here ya go, Vik,” Shawn said over the roar of chatty patrons and country music. He handed me several waiter checkbooks that jingled with change. He had picked up a couple of my tables and finished taking care of them for me, but he was giving me the tips he’d made.

I shoved the checkbooks back at him. “No way. You had ‘em longer. Those tips are rightfully yours.”

He shoved right back. “You took their orders—I merely brought them refills. A daft monkey could have done that.”