Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

Monday nights at Dan’s Roadkill were slow. Yeah, I know. With a name like that for a diner, one would expect every day to be dead. Bad marketing notwithstanding, our weekend crowds were pretty heavy. Probably because, despite the false advertising, the food here was sinfully delicious. The atmosphere was just as alluring, too. The restaurant resembled an old-western saloon—all wood, booming country music, and friendly patrons.

It was one hour past closing and I’d already cashed out, cleaned my tables, and finished my side-work. I was on a roll, and glad for it. My feet hurt, my head hurt, and I was exhausted from the double shift I’d worked. I couldn’t wait to get home and take a much welcomed hot shower that would wash away the lingering scents of beef, barbeque sauce, and beer.

Since I was the closer, I was the only person left in the diner, with the exception of my boss, Danny Brooks. I found him in his back office doing the managerial paperwork, and even though the door was partially open, I knocked anyways.

Danny motioned me in without looking up from his work. He was a man in his early thirties, and well built. Like most Texans who spent time out in the sun, he was tan. He also had a biker-like handlebar mustache, as well as an affinity for cowboy hats. His favorite black suede Rodeo King currently rested near the corner of his desk looking neglected.

“Side-work’s all finished,” I told him, readjusting my loose ponytail, “if you want to check me out.”

This time, he did look up. His eyes grazed over me slowly, starting at me feet and lingering on my curves until he met my incredulous stare. “Lookin’ good, Vik.”

I rolled my eyes. “Down, Sparky. I was talking about my side-work.”

He let out a loud, booming laugh, amusement in his eyes. “Well aware. Just couldn’t pass up the opportunity.” Danny stretched, and let out a bear of a yawn. “I trust your judgment,” he continued, with a wave of his hand. “You’re free to go.”

“Someone’s in a good mood.” Normally, he inspected everyone’s work, to make sure no one did a half-assed job on their cleaning duties.

“I’m always in a good mood when I work with you, darlin’,” he said, teasing.

It was no secret Danny had somewhat of a crush on me. All my co-workers knew, and even some of the regulars. Unfortunately for him, the feeling wasn’t mutual—a fact he was well aware of. Attractive though he may be, he just wasn’t my type, and not to mention nearly a decade older than me. He was, and always would be, just a good friend.

“I thought I was the one who was supposed to be doing the ass-kissing?”

He laughed again, leaning back in his chair causing it to creak under his weight. “If you’d like.”

I rolled my eyes. I tended to do that a lot during our conversations. “Yeah, not so much.”

“Well, if you’re not gonna kiss my ass, get out of my restaurant,” he said in good humor.

I gave him a grateful smile. “Don’t have to tell me twice. See ya tomorrow night,” I said with a wave, turning on my heel to leave.

“Good night, Vik,” he called out, as I left his office.

I made my way down the narrow hall, untying my black apron as I went. By the time I reached my locker in the break-room, I had my serverbook and pens neatly tucked inside the pockets of my folded apron. I switched out the apron and my black trucker hat, which had a red and white logo sporting the name of the restaurant, for my purse. After I safely locked up my belongings, I headed for the back exit.