s e v e n t e e n

Beginne am Anfang

I knew my chances were slim, but there was still a part of me that had hope. I decided not to tell Melanie about it yet. I didn't want to get her too excited or maybe even too disappointed.

I felt bad because I wasn't spending as much time with her as I usually do this week due to practicing but I knew in the long run she would understand.

-

Once Saturday arrived I was anxious. During moments like this Melanie was usually my support system, but today I had to face this anxiety by myself.

I sat in the waiting room with a bunch of other guys and girls, all waiting for our numbers to be called. Everyone looking like they haven't eaten in days, maybe even weeks.

The atmosphere was full of ambition, you could tell everyone was extremely passionate about their craft.

And then there was little ole me sitting here in sweats with my guitar.

As I fiddled with my strings I felt a strong slap in the back of my head.

"Yo! What's your-"

It was Haechan, great.

The one time I decide to kinda sorta hide something from Melanie I run into her other best friend.

"Mark what are you doing here? Is Melanie here? Wait, DOES MELANIE EVEN KNOW THAT YOU'RE HERE??!?"

"Ssssshhhhhh! No she doesn't and to be completely honest with you I want it to stay that way. At least for now-"

"So you're hiding things now? Wow mark you're not as holy as I thought you were"

I shook my head as I sat back down, now I was ten times more anxious than I was before. Haechan and his friend Jaemin sat across from me.

I began to think about the fling that Melanie and Jaemin had our freshman year of college. I wondered if I moved to Korea would he try to pursue her again? Would she let him?

I tried to shake those thoughts from my head as I heard a number being called

"112-127"

It was my turn.

My palms turned into lakes as Haechan and Jaemin began to cheer me on as I entered the room. It was a white room and smooth wooden floors. The lights were so bright I thought I was at the dentist.

"Mark Lee, correct?"

"Yes that's me, I am him, he is me-"

"You're from Canada but you are Korean, correct?"

"Yes"

"Do you speak Korean fluently?"

"Yes and English, well duh because I'm speaking in English-"

"What's your talents?"

"Um I can rap! I write my own songs-"

"Do you dance?"

"I can try-"

"Rap for us"