Chapter 9:

Chapter 9:
EMERY'S POV:

By the time I ate breakfast, almost every hallway had a flower or two in it. Miriam kept a few crates full of flower vases in case she, Alice, or the Count ever got around to redecorating. Of course, none of the three did, so it fell on me to brighten up the place. It was going to be my home for a very long time. I couldn't walk around hating it. Every time I walked past William with a flower, and a vase, he would just shake his head, and grumble something under his breath.

Geoffrey tried to warn me that he was just waiting for the Count's reaction. Honestly, I was too. I wanted to meet the man. I wanted him to be so angry at what I'd done with his home, that he'd march right up to me, and allow me to see the man I was going to marry. But, of course, he kept his distance. I assumed he wasn't that angry when I finished breakfast, and every single flower was exactly how I left it. William himself seemed to be astonished that his mysterious boss didn't bother to move the flowers, or the vases. Geoffrey chuckled, "it seems as if your presence has lightened up the whole place, Ms. Emery."

I smiled up at the tall man. Geoffrey and I had had a wonderful conversation during breakfast about his early life. Years ago, when he was still a young, indecisive boy he lived at King James' court. Not rich enough to have ever been noticed, but not poor enough to get by as a servant, Geoffrey and his father were blacksmiths. The revelation caused us to form a bond that no one else in the house could. They were all from different places; Geoffrey and I had a intertwined past. We both were the social outcasts of the court.

He, the too tall man with only a father, and me the orphaned girl who refused to follow the rules. He mainly asked questions about the current blacksmith. I answered as best I could, but I never actually visited him. I never had enough money. Alice and Miriam just listened with amusement written clearly on their faces. At one point, they whispered and gestured wildly to us. I didn't press it. Neither did William who sat beside his wife, watching us with a narrowed gaze.

The family had quickly welcomed me, and I was grateful for it. They were to be the only people I had contact with here. I was glad Miriam was so lively, Alice so talkative, and Geoffrey so relatable. I still didn't have a very good relationship with William. He was then closest to my husband, and seemed to share the same traits. Secretive. The Count's life was shrouded in mystery. Even being here, I could not unravel what type of man he was. That worried me. When not even the people who lived with him knew what he looked like, I had no hope of knowing him.

I doubted I ever would, but that wouldn't stop my mind from going places it shouldn't. I wondered if he was tall, pale or tanned, stout or lean. I wondered if he was handsome, or if he had a disheartening visage. Either way, I would see him. Unless he planned to simply not come to our wedding. Perhaps he would not enter the same room, and all I would be able to hear was the booming voice of man I would never see.

I winced. No, he would come to our wedding. If I had to drag him out myself, he would come. Whenever our wedding date was, I would see that man. I would catch even an hour glimpse of his features whether they be horrid or handsome. He must be at least a bit handsome if my sister desired him. Of course, she could've just been interested in his money. Now, I stood beside Alice as she examined my wardrobe. Miriam had given her relief from her chores for the day, so that she could assist me. The first thing she wanted to do was help choose my outfits for the next few days. "If the sun shines bright tomorrow like it did today, wear this one," she pointed to a dress the color of the setting sun, "you'll look so wonderful in it!" I didn't have very many dresses, but I had enough. They were simple, yet still hinted at old money.

Money that was rightfully mine. See, Edith was given most of the money, but I still was able to receive just about a quarter of the amount. Edith's adopted mother received. It was what pushed me through when suspicion arose about King James' fondness of me. I nodded at Alice, showing her that I was listening to what she was saying. "What is it, Emery," she asked, "you seem so down all of a sudden." I sighed quietly, "do you think he will ever approach me? Do you think I will ever know him the way a wife is supposed to know her husband?" Alice looked away, glancing outside at the gardens from my window, "I wish I could tell you Emery, but it is not me you should be talking to. You should go to my father. I'm positive he would ease some of your questions."

I looked thoughtfully at her. I hadn't thought about talking to her father. I thought he was more like the patron of the house than anyone else was. I rose from my chair, slowly. An idea forming in my mind. If Alice's father was the one who delivered my husband to be's meals, then maybe he wouldn't be opposed to me delivering his meal. I turned to Alice with a devilish smile, "I have an idea."