Chapter Seven

[[A/N: I figured I'd tell you now, if you hadn't already realized, this story has no plot.  There isn't anything special, it wont even last as long as the Twilight plot goes. It'll probably be over in a few chapters, and this was just something I've been writing to have fun. FUN.  For my own happiness. I'm glad you guys like it but I dont want anyone complaining that my chapters are too short, or the plot is stupid.  There is no plot -.- ]]

Chapter Seven:

The next day I spent with the Cullens, and the next, and the next.  Afterwards everyday Jasper would drive me home, insisted upon it actually, and even though I was embarrassed that he constantly saw the dump in which I lived, I accepted his rides.  It meant more time for me to be able to get ready for work. I got better; being around the Cullens I mean. I felt their dangerous vibes but for some reason, I trusted them. I felt like they wouldn't hurt me.

Except Rosalie. I had no doubt she'd tear my throat out if I made one wrong move.  I was extremely careful to make sure I didn't do that.  I stayed away from her as often as possible and the only times when I couldn't avoid her company was during lunch.  I had tried sitting away from the Cullens more than once but Beatrice wouldn't leave me alone.  

Combine that with the fact that for the last week, everyday she'd meet me by the door of my apartment, trying to get in whenever I opened the door.  She looked fine, she was still fed and in clean clothes which meant she had a place to stay, so I didn't have to feel guilty about keeping her out of my own place of residence.  

Within an hour, she was always gone, so I didn't have to worry about leaving the house with her loitering around outside.

My brother went about his usual daily routines.  Stealing money out of my purse, buying drugs and alcohol, partying all night long with people he barely knew.  Somtimes I didn't see him for days, and as much as I hated to admit it, it was a relief to me.  I loved my brother but sometimes it was nice to have a nice, relaxing mini-vacation away from him.  

Today wasn't one of those days where I didn't see him though, I realized as I walked into our apartment after sending Beatrice running with her tail between her legs.  He laid out upon our battered sofa, a needle sticking out of his arm.  I sighed, holding back tears as I gently eased the offending object out of his skin and throwing it into the trashcan.  

"Oh Tommy.. I love you so much," I kissed his forhead before heading to the shower to get ready for work.  It was so hard seeing him like that. He was the boy who'd taken care of me when our parents would argue and I would cry in my bed.  

He'd hold me to him and tell me everything would be okay.

He did the same at our parents funeral, they'd gone to get divorce papers and a drunk driver crashed into them, killing both our parents, and the drunken mother and the two kids in her backseat, one of them weren't even hers... 

Then, once we were on our own, things became too much to handle. Having to take care of a fifteen  year old girl was something the courts had said he could do, being twenty-two at the time, but he couldn't.  He'd started going to parties after work.. then got into drugs.  So I had had to go out and get a job instead.  

I didn't blame him most days, I'd have probably done it too if given the option.  But I didn't have any options, I had to take care of Tommy and keep our apartment and make sure that Child Protective Services never found out about our lifestyle.  

After I showered, blow dried my hair and gotten dressed in casual, comfortable attire, I walked out of the apartment, locking it behind me and headed down to the parking lot only to find a rather large surprise waiting for me.  

"Jake?"  

"Hi Nemesis, long time no talk."

I stared at him for a moment before nodding.  "Yeah.. whats up?"  I know it seemed rude but I really had to get to walking if I wanted to make it there in time without having to run.  His eyes stared at my face as if figuring out how to word his next sentence.  

"You enjoyed it last time, so I thought maybe you'd like to come to our next bonfire tomorrow night as well."  

I agreed immediately without thinking about it, knowing I wanted to learn more about the Quiluete's legends.  The Cold Ones were real, which meant the werewolves were.. were Jacob and Paul werewolves?  

There was no telling, and if they were I wouldn't be at all surprised, I realized. Then I realized that I had work tomorrow night.. and I agreed to go to the bonfire.   I suppose I was calling in sick, though I knew I needed the money, I also knew I needed a bit of relaxation time if I didn't want to go insane from studying for school and working.  

"Thank you for inviting me Jake, I'll see you tomorrow then."

"I'll pick you up. I'll give you a ride now, if you'd like too."  I started to shake my head before I realized I could probably get him to stop somewhere for food since I hadn't eaten in nearly two days and I wouldn't be late at all.  

"That'd be great, thank you."

Thinking he'd lead me to a beat up old rust bucket of a truck like Paul and Bella had, I followed him silently and stared in shock as he stopped at a motorcycle.  My eyes widened as I smiled, climbing on behind him and wrinkling my nose up in distaste as he shoved his helmet on my head.

It stunk like stale sweat.

"Where are we heading?"  

"Just drop me off at the diner in town, I can walk easily from there," I said loudly, my voice muffled by the helmet, and suddenly the bike was rumbling underneath us and he was darting off, barely giving me time to wrap my arms around his extremely wide abdomen.  How in the world is he so muscular?  

It was not too long afterwards that he slowed down, turning into the parking lot of the town diner and dropping me off.  "Thank you so much for the ride, I'd have never gotten here in time without you.  I'll see you tomorrow!" I waited until he'd driven off before walking across the street to a fast food restruant, ording a child's meal hamburger and ate slowly.  

I was in no rush to work now that I'd gotten a ride this far, it would only take ten minutes or so to finish the walk to the club, and soon, much too soon, I was on my way there.  I was in a good mood, but moods could never be good enough to want to go to work. 

I really hated my job.