chapter seven ~ raid

Start from the beginning

Nimueh nodded once. "Or else, die trying."

"That's what I'm worried about." Everyone looked at Lucy. "You're all acting like there are only two options; dying here or dying there."

Nimueh wanted to agree. But it had been so long since she had done this, and even back then there had only been one man to follow, that her mind seemed to have scrambled and she couldn't find a clear way out.

"I'm not sure you've really been listening, Lucy."

"No, you're not listening," Lucy stressed to Peter. "Or have you forgotten who really defeated to White Witch, Peter?"

Nimueh couldn't miss the flash of hurt and humiliation in Peter's eyes, and hoped against hope that she had been the only one to see it. In a moment of horrific passion, she resented Lucy for calling Peter out in front of his subjects. When that moment passed, it was all she could do to dig her nails into her palms and not leap to the High King's defence. She could see him gathering himself up, not wanting to let anything shake him.

"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough. Tell the soldiers to suit up and gather their weapons immediately. We'll discuss the details when everyone is prepared." And the High King said no more.

Most of the company, including Susan, strode out of the chamber, but Caspian walked straight over to Nimueh.

"You don't agree with his plan, I know you don't." Nimueh gave him a look between a glare and pleading gaze, begging him to keep his voice down. Caspian leaned in closer, so that their faces were but inches apart. "You could have said something. He would have listened to you."

"It's not my place to speak against the High King," she hissed, tilting her eyes up to meet his.

"You're his general. Surely, if it's anyone's place-"

"Perhaps," she cut him off, "were the situation different, I would have advised him otherwise. But we need to act now and we don't have any other options. Besides, the High King's logic is sound. This is what makes sense."

Caspian sighed, looking to the floor.

"You must understand that Peter- that the Kings and Queens have far more experience in this area than you do. That's why you called on us, so that we could help you. I trust you, Sire. Now it is your turn to trust them, as you have trusted me. Please," Nimueh said, placing a hand on his upper arm. "Please, trust us."

Caspian didn't say a word, only nodded. As Nimueh dropped her hand and turned to leave, she spotted Peter, stagnant a moment before moving out of sight. It was then that she realised how much she wanted to tell him that no one blamed him, nor his brother and sisters, for leaving. But she had, however long ago it was, and the guilt was beginning to settle in.

"Come on," she said at last to the Prince. "You need to be ready for this."

At the edge of the forest, a line of the Narnian soldiers formed just inside the shadows, their breath billowing out into the night. Every pair of eyes lifted to the castle, a mere shadow against the clear sky, waiting.

Then, just before the stillness became unbearable, a beam of light cut through the darkness. A white light, one that looked so alien in Narnia, but reminded Nimueh of the Sun-powered lights back on the Island. Glancing up at Glenstorm, they exchanged nods, and moved out of the cover of the trees and towards the town.