39. POTTER!

Lillian stormed down the stairs, the tie in his hand. Fabian and Gideon looked at him.

'What's got his knickers in a twist?' whispered Gideon to Fabian.

'No idea,' Fabian whispered back. 'What's wrong, Evans?' he asked in a louder voice. 'You look like murder!'

Lillian turned his angry green eyes on Fabian. 'Where's Potter?'

Fabian looked at him nervously. 'Why?'

'Where's that complete bogue, Potter?' Lillian asked, through clenched teeth.

Fabian pointed to the girl's dormitories. 'She scrammed about two minutes ago. There was this scream. Like bloody thunder, it was. Her and Pettigrew fled like rats.'

Lillian stalked over the girl's stairs. It was a good thing for Potter that he could not go up the stairs and get her himself. He stood at the foot. 'Potter!' he yelled. 'Potter!'

Up in the dormitories, Sirius smirked at Jamie. Lillian's angry voice bellowed Jamie's name again and again. Jamie had gone white.

'Oh, look, it's your knight in shining armour calling for yoooouuuu...' teased Sirius.

'Shut up!' said Jamie angrily.

Frankie looked up warily. 'I don't know what it is that you three have done, knowing as you always leave me behind, but you'd better see what it is that he wants. He's got quite the temper on him, I've heard. And quite the aptitude for a Bat-Bogey Hex, too.'

Jamie swallowed and walked out of the room, and down the stairs.

'Oi! Mate! Shall I go with you?' Sirius called after Jamie, but Jamie didn't look back or give a reply. She stopped at the top of the last set of stairs, and looked down at Lillian. An angry blush on his face made his head look like a great dollop of ketchup. Only his bright green eyes, which were narrowed to slits stood out.

Jamie swallowed. 'What do you want, Evans?' she said, her voice cracking.

Lillian bristled. 'What do you mean, what do I want, Potter?' he asked. The cheek of it!

Slowly, he reached behind his back, and produced the tie. Jamie stared at it, her mouth going dry. 'Oh,' was all she could say. She snapped her fingers nervously behind her back.

'You have something of mine, you rotten eclair,' said Lillian, in a voice of false calm. Jamie sensed the tempest raging beneath.

But still, she held her calm. 'Remus is our friend, too! And she hasn't spoken to us. We're worried about her. We have a right to that letter.'

Lillian swelled before Jamie's eyes. 'You have a right, Potter? A right?' Lillian took a deep breath. 'You know, Potter, normally when somebody doesn't write to you, it means that they don't want to talk to you. I mean, what did you do?' he asked, a little cruelly, if truth be told.

Jamie pushed her square glasses further up her nose, and she finally snapped. 'That's none of your business! And I'm sorry we took your letter, but, we really care about Remus, and we want to know if she's all right. Nobody is telling us anything. Surely you understand?' Her tone turned soft and pleading, and her brown eyes looked straight at Lillian, begging.

It was because of that stare that Jamie was so spoiled. And now, it was the reason that Lillian Evans, the arch-nemesis of Jamie Potter (this was not strictly true, but he rather fancied himself it) gave into her. 'Fine,' he grumbled, relenting. 'I'll talk to her, and I'll mention you guys next time. And don't blame me if she doesn't want to write you back. Merlin knows, I wouldn't. And I want my letter back!'