Viola's face flushed as she accepted his invite. "Thank you." She felt embarrassed after attempting to sound like he wanted her to sound. "Be true to yourself and the magic will flow." Her old school master had told her that once and she didn't realize she'd spoken aloud until Mern nodded.

"A wise saying." Mern paused a moment, watching her. "Tell me, what do you think it means?"

What? Viola's mind raced as she struggled to focus on his question. It was simple, yet she didn't expect it as a rebuke for speaking. To have a question given because he wanted to hear her understanding of the phrase was unique. At first, she was confused, Viola never thought about its meaning beyond being something Master Poumous used to help his pupils focus. She never thought it had any significant meaning before, but she did what a student was expected to. Viola took the saying, examining it word by word before answering, "If you don't lie about yourself, the magic will be more focused?"

It was the best answer Viola could think of and it made sense to her. She couldn't help but feel ignorant for taking so long to understand its meaning. Fighting off a sudden urge to apologize to Master Poumous for ever thinking ill of him, she watched her new master for his response.

To Viola's delight, Mern smiled while nodding. "Very good, I see your school master has taught you well." He sat back and watched her reaction. He was pleased to see her smile and stop acting as though she were someone else. Mern steeped his fingers as he thought through his options. The magic was powerful inside of her. Once she learned to control herself and let the magic flow from her, there would be few in the world able to challenge her. That was why she'd been drawn to the herbology book. He'd enchanted it long ago to draw those like her to it. "You have enormous potential, my dear, but I fear you don't yet see the entire landscape."

Viola's smile faded somewhat, she was never told about her potential, only that she and the handful of other students had the same future available. The good feeling of the compliment was dulled by the strange critism. Mern's thoughtful expression softened while he read her question through her facial contortions. "Whether it's due to your teaching, or your own shortcomings, you see the world in black and white. You will learn to see it in all its colors, good and bad." He paused, motioning around him, "Around us are few absolutes; only the vaguest of ideas. In a world surrounding us with constant uncertainty, the one constant is our art. Magic comes from inside us. We are the vessels of its passage. If we're untrue to what we truly are, then the magic hesitates to answer our call. You must pay attention and learn from everything you see and hear. Understand?"

Viola nodded. She had learned a great deal in the last few minutes. Humility and wisdom seemed to go hand in hand. In just a few phrases, Mern showed everything her school master told her had been important. With new understanding, she said, "Yes, Master, everything has become clear."

Mern smiled at her. He witnessed her mood go from highs to lows and back again like a bird in the wind. She needed to learn better control over her emotions, but that would come with added discipline. "What robes do you expect to wear once you've passed the trials?"

His question caught her by surprise. Until then, she never considered the thought. Apprentices, such as her, wore brown robes. Designed to build a strong work ethic and display to them their low level status as mages, the brown robes were both an insult and an inspiration. Few were content to remain a brown robe as the muddy color represented the skill and potential one was likely to achieve. Those choosing to remain a brown robe were either apprentices trying to find their path or the Chroniclers. The Chroniclers were mages with little ability, but decided to remain with their chosen art as historians, mathematicians, or any other kind of book keeper the Masters of the Realm deemed necessary. Thus, if any magic user had a question or dispute over spell components, magical feats, or who did what, they only needed to inquire the Chroniclers within the Hall of Learning in Talanthia, city of magic.