Ch. 8: What Lies Between

Start from the beginning

*You tell Sans that he will always be the punniest. Always.

Sans grinned, and ruffled their hair; somehow, their bangs stayed in front of their eyes. "Well, you're not too bad, yourself, kiddo."

The scene evaporated. Another rose to take its place.

It was another with Sans. He was smiling, looking somewhere to the left of the image. Then his grin quickly faded. "Kiddo? You okay?"

*You tell Sans that something's wrong.

"What? What's wrong?"

*You tell Sans that you're scared.

"You don't need to be scared, kiddo. What's gotten you so afraid?"

The image shifts, and instead of just Sans's face, I can see Frisk's, too. Tears started to run down their face.

"Frisk?"

*You tell Sans that you're afraid of HER.

Sans eyes go dark. "Red eyes? Green and yellow sweater?"

Frisk gasped, and looked up.

"I know a few things, kiddo. Don't act surprised."

Frisk looked like they want to say something, but they kept their mouth shut.

Before anyone can say anything else, the image shifts once more.

There's a huge hall with stained glass windows, which cast a (strangely eerie) rosy light onto the scene.

There were two characters. The first one I noticed was Sans. He was dressed like the other two times, but there was a red scarf around his neck. Papyrus's red scarf. He was already dead.

The second was Frisk, but there was something wrong with them. Their posture was oddly stiff, and their fingers kept curling around a knife they held in their hand.

Sans finally spoke into the deathly silence. "Frisk, please, this is your last chance—"

"I'm not Frisk, you idiot."

I was stung by the harsh voice. It was female, and definitely human. But I could tell that it wasn't Frisk's. It just didn't...belong to them. And besides, she said she wasn't Frisk, anyway. So...was she inside their body somehow, or what?

Sans flinched. "I was afraid of that."

She laughed. I grimaced. Her laugh was steel grating on steel: unpleasant, sharp, and painful to hear. I had to cover my ears. I don't know how Sans was able to stand it.

"Ignorant fool. I'll kill you soon enough."

Sans raised a hand. Bones and Blasters appeared, surrounded by blue. "I stand to disagree, Chara."

Bones flew into and impaled Frisk's body. I winced, rubbing my shoulder. The feeling was definitely not fun.

Chara laughed that nails-on-chalkboard laugh again. A red and black heart that had appeared in front of her shattered, and a phrase popped into my mind.

"Stay determined," I murmured.

"I don't think you understand, Sans. I'll always come back. And soon, I will kill you."

Laughing, her body faded away. I furrowed my brows and continued to watch. This...feeling in my mind told me that it wasn't over yet.