Car Ride Home

^ Matthew Kim/ Kim Woojin

Jennie exhaled and dropped hers arms down on either side of her, her phone bouncing out of her hand and onto the mattress. Since last night she couldn't help but wonder how the night may have played out if Jisoo's girlfriend hadn't shown up. There were definitely having a moment— at least it felt that way to Jennie, even if she didn't know what kind of moment it was.

She wasn't even sure why she was even thinking about it still. It lasted all of 5 minutes. Plus, Jisoo had a girlfriend. She wasn't sure why that mattered either. She was just her tutor, after all. They weren't even friends, not really.

Despite all that, when she received a text that evening, she half expected (half hoped) it was Jisoo. When it turned out to be Irene, she didn't really care one way or another. Sure she liked Irene well enough, she had fun with her, but that was it.

Irene: i'll look for you at the zeta party ;)

Jennie: won't be there

Irene: aww :( just in case you change your mind

Irene: (...Incoming photo...)

That was when Jennie dropped her phone and sighed. It had been a while since she had spent time with any of her study buddies. Except Jisoo. But that was different, they actually studied. Also, Irene did have on quite the outfit. It would be a shame for it to go to waste.

——

"You guys sure you don't want to come?" Jisoo walked into the kitchen, tucking some hair behind her ear and going straight for the package of cookies on the counter.

"Yeah," Lisa shrugged and nodded at Jisoo, asking for a cookie, "Chaeyoung was being weird and said something about Matthew and art and naked. I'm not sure it was an actual sentence or if her brain was short circuiting but I think we are just going to stay in and order pizza and watch a movie or something."

"Well, I may be home early and join you." Jisoo shoved a whole cookie in her mouth and still managed to pout.

"Trouble in paradise?" Lisa chuckled and took a bite of her cookie.

"Tell me what to do?" Jisoo whined, slumping over onto the counter.

As if on cue, Soojoo knocked twice on the apartment door before opening it and letting herself in. Jisoo immediately stood up, eyes wide looking at Lisa, while she just stifled a laugh.

"Hey Chu, you ready?" Soojoo walked in and wrapped her arms around Jisoo in a hug.

It was awkward. Everyone in the room felt it.

"Uh yeah, let me just grab my phone." Jisoo forced a smile and disappeared down the hall towards her room. She walked in her bedroom and shut the door behind her, leaning her back up against it and letting out a sigh.

What was up with her? She was actually looking forward to this party. She needed a break, desperately. She's been staring at a computer screen and texts books so much for midterms she's sure her brain has started to melt. And earlier that day, she had actually been looking forward to spending it with Soojoo.

After whatever had happened the night before at Chaeyoung's art midterm thing, Jisoo really thought about her relationship with Soojoo. She even made a pro's and cons list. No joke. Ultimately she realized that Soojoo was a great girlfriend— Caring, smart, driven, thoughtful, and the list when on. She figured whatever awkwardness or distance that had been building was just because of stress, and a party was the perfect way to get over that.

So why as soon as she was around Soojoo, did things feel so off still? She had made up her mind to make it work. So why wasn't it working?

Jisoo grabbed her phone and mentally talked herself back into giving it a go and not letting the small things bug her, to focus on the great things and just have a good time. Reconnect. So as soon as she was back in the kitchen with Lisa and Soojoo, who were doing everything possible not to talk or even look at each other, Jisoo laced her hand with Soojoo's and greeted her with a kiss.