⠀⠀𝟯𝟳. ❛ WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE ❜

Start from the beginning

     "It's derived from the second to last stanza of Tim Burton's poem Roy, the Toxic Boy. The poem itself is part of Burton's The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories books from 1997. Essentially, it's about a boy misunderstood by those around him. He has a few friends who care about him, but others are repulsed by his presence and refer to him as "that horrible Toxic Boy." In 2008, a short film was created based on the poem." Spencer spoke softly, biting the inside of his cheek as his gaze couldn't help but flutter back to the paper.

     "If the poem is about a misunderstood child, how does it connect to the Red Scorpions or Cara?" Jennifer Jareau questioned, gesturing to the paper as she stood behind Spencer's chair.

     Furrowing his brows, the doctor sighed. "Burton's poems and stories are typically intended for a more mature audience, despite its marketing strategy of advertising it for children. In essence, Roy, the Toxic Boy is a juvenile poem, and the drawings included in it incorporate Burton's macabre writing style. Since this poem, in particular, is relatively short compared to some of Burton's other stories and poetry, there isn't much to analyze, and there isn't much opportunity for conflict. However, there is one conflict, and it includes the portion of the stanza that was sent.

     "At the end of the poem, when Roy is put in a garden, he is, some suggest purposefully, left there to breathe in the outdoor air. This inevitably kills Roy since he can't handle anything but toxic fumes. When looking at this conflict, it appears that Roy has a conflict with whoever left him in the garden, but there's no evidence proving that they purposefully left him there. Therefore whatever ended his life is responsible for this conflict. In this case, it's Man versus Element. Roy is faced with the element, and he is unable to survive. The opposing force, the element, kills him and wins the conflict.

     "But this raises the question, "Why was Roy left in the garden?" The answer to this, most people believe, is the theme of the poem, which is neglect. Roy was left in the garden and neglected to the point that it led to his death. This is all just theory and a critical analysis of the poem, though. There are varying opinions on the true meaning of it, but it's truly up to the reader to interpret what the meaning is for themselves." Spencer finished, clasping his hands together as he glanced up to Hotch and Rossi, who sat across the table.

     Crossing her arms, Tara Lewis, the newest and most recent team member, stepped forward from where she stood beside JJ. "What do you think the poem's meaning is in terms of Cara and the Red Scorpions?" she inquired, raising a brow.

     Spencer turned his head and briefly met her curious stare. "Uh, it could have several meanings," he mumbled awkwardly, not entirely keen on sharing his thoughts. He knew what it meant the moment he'd read it, but he'd kept his mouth shut. The moment he said it out loud would be the moment it could become a real possibility, and he didn't want it to be. His reasoning was flawed as to why he kept his mouth shut; he knew that, but the very thought of her near him made him feel sick.

     "But what do you think the meaning is?" Hotch pressed, raising a brow. The Unit Chief was curious about what was running through the doctor's mind. He was the best chance they had at finding Cara Valentine. Everything he knew about her was critical. He'd been the only one able to get her to crack and open up. He knew stuff that the rest of them would never know, and that knowledge was valuable to the case, as were his thoughts.

     "Well, there's no evidence that explains what exactly happened to her, just as there is no evidence that whoever left Roy outside did it intentionally. That portion could just be a taunt to us, rubbing in the fact that we have nothing, or it could be a message saying there will never be any evidence leading us to her. If we were to take the conflict of Man versus Element and apply it to the case, she would be Roy, and the Scorpions would be the element. Roy is faced with the element and is unable to survive. The same could have already happened or will happen to her. When it does, or if it already has, the Scorpions will have officially won.