Chapter 11

Toni

I woke up on the couch. I have no idea how I got here. I looked up and nearly fainted...again.

"Hey, look who's up." He said with a smile as he handed me a glass of water. I looked at it and back at him making him awkwardly sit it on the table.

"K-Kenny?"

"Yes."

I looked around, "Am I dead?"

He chuckled, "No."

"In a coma?"

"Nope."

"Ok, this is a dream. This isn't real." I said running my hands through my hair.

"Toni, it's real. I'm here." He said kneeling down in front of me.

"No, you're dead! I was there when they came to tell your mother, I was at your memorial service..."

"I know, and I wish I had a quick explanation for all of it, but I don't. Baby, I'm here. I'm alive."

_______________________

Kenny

Toni sat there in shock and confusion. She gently touched my face, I guess to see if I was real. She let out a shaky breath before she slapped me.

It caught me off guard at first but when she started hitting me and crying I knew what was happening.

"DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I'VE BEEN THROUGH?!" She cried shoving me.

"I know." I said grabbing her hands.

"No you don't. I've been miserable!"

I pulled her into a hug, "I'm sorry."

"Why would you do that to me?" She sobbed into my chest.

"I'm sorry. For what it's worth, I've been miserable without you too."

I kissed her forehead softly as she started to calm down.

"What really happened?" She asked referring to the last time we spoke.

"The explosion wasn't close enough to kill me, it just blew me away. I was the only one that survived."

"Then what?"

I sighed avoiding her curious eyes, "I don't think you're ready to hear that-"

"You're really not in the position to tell me what I need to hear."

"Just trust me, I'll tell you everything but not now. This alone is enough to process." I stated.

"Fine."

"I will say that you can't tell anyone about me."

She looked at me crazy, "What?"

"I know. I'll explain later, just promise me you won't say anything."

"Okay, I promise."

I grabbed her hands,?"I know this is a lot, but it has to be this way for now."

_______________________

Toni

After all the dramatics I fixed Kenny something to eat. I sat there watching him as a million questions went through my mind. The main one being, where the hell has he been all this time?

"This is crazy, I feel like I'm in a dream." I said shaking my head.

"Well you're not."

"How am I suppose to keep this from Aaron or..." I trailed off with a sigh.

He frowned, "What's wrong?"

"Tiana. She doesn't know anything about you."

Putting the fork down, "She's mine?" He asked.

I nodded, "That's what I wanted to tell you that day. I was pregnant."

"I should've known. It's like the minute I laid eyes on her there was some instant fatherly connection I felt. Wow, we have a daughter." He said beaming with joy.

"Yeah, she acts just like you."

"And Aaron, is he treating her right?"

"Yes. He loves her and she loves him."

"What about you? Is he treating you right?" He asked looking as if he already knew the answer.

"Umm..."

"I heard you two this morning. If he's putting his hands on you, you need-"

"Ken, stop. We have our fights but I can't take Tiana away from the only father she knows." I said looking away from him.

"Well I'm here now."

"I can't tell her, she'll be crushed."

"So you're gonna stay and keep taking beatings because you're scared to tell our daughter the truth."

I scoffed, "You don't even want anyone to know you're alive. Now you want me to tell her that the homeless man in the basement is her real dad who came back from the dead?" I snapped. He looked down and I huffed, "I'm sorry."

"No I'm sorry, I shouldn't have judged you. Now is not the time for us to be arguing anyway, this is suppose to be a happy moment." He replied grabbing my hand.

"You're right."
_______________________

Kenny

Toni smiled at me as I began to think about everything that just took place.

"Besides, I have to leave again anyway." I said finishing my earlier statements.

She let go of my hand, "What? Why?"

"I can't put you and Tiana in danger by being here."

"Why would we be in danger?"

"There are things you don't know."

"So tell me, I can help."

I shook my head, "No. I can't have you involved."

"Ken, please. Just let me help y-"

"I SAID NO!" I loudly snapped. A tear left her eye as she got up and walked away. I didn't mean to yell but I can't afford anything happening to her, especially not with Tiana added to the equation. I have a family to protect and I'm gonna do that by any means.

Sorry it's late...Homework🙄

What do you think is going on with Kenny?