Chapter 17

Toni

I opened the door after hearing the doorbell ring. On my porch were two police officers. I tried my best to be as calm as possible but my mind was racing on reasons why they were here.

"Hi, can I help you?" I finally asked.

One of them stepped up, "Is your husband home?"

"He's on vacation, is there something I can help you with?"

"Yes, there's been a robbery at his company. A very important machine was stolen and if we don't get it back, a lot of people's personal information can be in the wrong hands."

"Oh no."

He nodded pulling out his notepad, "Now I have some of the employees saying that you went into the control room where the machine was."

"To recover a file." I lied.

"Did you see anyone come in after you or...?"

"No."

"Well thanks for your time, I'll be in touch."

I shot them a small smile before closing the door. I watched them get in their car through the window and sighed in relief when they drove away. I pulled out my phone and called Ken.

"Please tell me you got rid of that damn machine. The police just left here." I said after hearing him say hello.

"I'm dropping it off now. I'll be there in a few. Just relax." He told me.

"Hurry back."

_______________________

Kenny

After hanging up with Toni, Ali help me push the machine into the building. Boss was there waiting.

"You got what you wanted." I told him pointing to the machine.

He examined it before turning to me, "You did good. I'll be in touch."

"What are you gonna do with it?"

"That's my business, you can go now."

I shook my head and walked out. I just hoped he wasn't doing anything dangerous. I went back to the house where Toni was waiting on the couch.

"Hey."

She stood up, "Hey, did you take care of it?"

"I did." I said making her sigh in relief.

"Good. I think we should tell Tiana tonight."

"Are you sure?"

"No, but it's one of those now or never situations." She said. I could tell this was eating at her.

I nodded, "I understand. Okay, we'll tell her."

Later that evening...

Toni, Tiana, and I sat at the table eating pizza. We started off with a random conversation before Toni went in for the kill.

"So Tiana..." She started.

"Yes Mommy?" Tiana answered.

"You....Umm...I....uh...well-"

"I'm your dad. Your real dad, I mean." I blurted out.

_______________________

Toni

I was so glad Ken stepped in, I was a nervous wreck. Although I wish he wasn't so blunt, I'm glad it's out now and we can move forward.

Tiana stared at him, "Huh?"

"Yeah."

She thought for a minute,"You're the guy in the picture? Kenny?"

"Yeah."

"And the homeless man...I remember that scar on your arm."

Ken chuckled, "You're good."

"I'm 7, I know stuff." She informed him.

"Well, how do you feel about all this?" I asked. She seemed neutral at first then her face turned sad. I frowned in confusion, "What's wrong honey?"

She sat with her head down letting out a sigh, "What about...Aaron? He's gonna be mad at us again and he's gonna-"

"Hey, listen to me. You have nothing to worry about. I'm not gonna let anything happen to you or your mom, Okay?" Kenny interrupted.

"What if you move away again?" She asked him.

"I'm not going anywhere."

Holding her pinky out, "Promise?"

"I promise." He said locking his pinky with hers. I smiled at their cute little interaction.

"You wanna come play with my dolls?"

"Sure."

They got up and went upstairs leaving me to clean up the table.

______________________

Kenny

Tiana and I played with her dolls for half an hour until she suggested we watch a movie. She ended up falling asleep halfway through so I decided to sneak out and let her rest. I must say this Dad thing is actually coming natural to me and I love it. I went downstairs and saw Toni pacing.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Where did you dump Aaron's body exactly?" She asked back.

"Some lake across town, why?"

"Shit."

"What's wrong?"

"I think they found it." She said pointing to the TV. The lake was on the news and they were pulling out the black bag I stuffed the body in. I sat down on the couch, this is bad...real bad.