Chapter Eleven

The dark made her want to cry. It was lonely without her parents, not to mention scary. As soon as her mother closed the door, her lips began to tremble and she sniffed quietly. After a few minutes, she couldn't take it anymore. She let out a wail that shook her body, tears flowing like a river that had just broken free of a dam.

For several minutes, she unleashed her terror and sadness until she saw light peeking through the doorway. Her mother approached her and scooped her in her arms.

"Sweetie, please don't cry," her mother said in a soothing voice. "It's time for bed, silly goose. You need to get to sleep."

A gentle melody sounded through the room, barely over a whisper. Her sobs gradually subsided until they were little more than an occasional hiccup. The sound calmed her, fading into silence as she drifted off to sleep.

Courtney awoke, desperately clinging to any memory of her dream. All that remained were vague images that left her feeling as though a part of her had been ripped away.

The more she woke up, the less she remembered, and the more convinced she became that it was important. There was something familiar about the setting that made her unable to entirely shake it. Courtney yawned and checked the time. Her eyes widened and her stomach clenched. Crap, I'm late!

She couldn't remember a time when her parents had failed to find out why she wasn't downstairs on time on the rare occasions she slept in, and now it had happened twice. A minute later, she realized why. "It's Saturday," she grumbled to herself.

Relief seeped into her bones at not having to deal with school that day. She wasn't sure she could put on a happy face and go through the motions. Her mind was too focused on the images she tried desperately to remember. While she dressed, Courtney struggled to recall what her parents' plans were that morning. Usually, they had some work-related event or other to go to. She sighed as she realized it was too early for them to be gone yet.

"Oh well," she mused quietly. "I guess I can get through a good morning before I make a quick escape."

Courtney trudged through the hallway toward the kitchen. She pushed open the door and stepped inside, a genuine smile spreading across her features as she took in the empty room. She got herself some iced tea while mulling over how to spend her day. A noise from behind stopped her cold.

"Good morning, Courtney."

"Hi, Dad." It felt wrong to call him that now. She couldn't get over the looks on their faces when she showed them the picture of her real parents, not to mention the sting of betrayal when the truth — or what they said was the truth — came out.

"So, what have you got going on this morning?" He poured himself a cup of coffee, taking a long sip before he sat beside her at the kitchen table.

"Nothing," she mumbled. "Might just go for a walk or something."

"Courtney, I know that you must be mad that we didn't tell you everything sooner, but I promise you, we meant well. We did exactly what we were asked and we agreed that it was best."

"And what about what I might want? I'm about to turn eighteen, shouldn't I have some right to decide what I can or can't handle now? Especially if I might start getting weird powers?"

"Young lady, that tone really isn't necessary. You have no idea what we were all dealing with."

"Then why don't you explain it some more? Will I or won't I start getting the same abilities? What is so dangerous that they didn't keep me? You have to know more than what you've already told me." She couldn't imagine her real parents would just hand her over like that without warning them about the possibilities.