Chapter 39: Alien Allegiance

Start from the beginning

"I'd tell the Lord it was out of kindness. He'll be there to help you, regardless of the struggles you're facing."

Maya mused on Carrie's answer until the comm device buzzed on her wrist. "Maya here."

"We're heading back to the citadel from our missions," Orchid said. "Is everything good?"

"The base is quiet for now. Carrie and I await your return."

The gang converged at the City of Dawn, securing any items they collected from their missions

The gang converged at the City of Dawn, securing any items they collected from their missions. When Kim returned, a golden snake creature floated beside her, much to the gang's surprise.

"What the hell is that?" TJ asked.

"A Guardian, duh," Kim replied.

"Let us guess: Kan-Ra. You bargained with him again?"

"Sort of, so, here's the story: ARIA needed someone to accept requests from the Mummy. Once I gathered enough Astral Gems, I convinced him to bring forth this little one here."

"You need to be careful with him," Maya said. "Who knows what motives that sorcerer is hiding under his...'service.'"

"I'm aware of that." Kim opened her bag and uncovered the items from Kan-Ra's missions.

TJ grabbed a jar containing a heart. "Is this a heart?"

"An Odorous Wolf Heart, and please, don't open that jar," Kim advised. "The smell alone will leave you out of commission in seconds. Kan-Ra mentioned it enhances your fighting skills by 'consuming' it."

TJ set the jar on the ground and slid it away from him. "I've seen enough TV shows to know where it's going."

"Well, nighttime is approaching soon, where the Mimics become most active," Orchid said. "We must set a guard duty schedule and listen for any assignments for us. Where's Carrie?"

"She's in the forest for a bathroom break, but Pemba's with her," Maya said.

Pemba and Carrie were in the woods near the citadel; the latter was desperate to relieve herself

Pemba and Carrie were in the woods near the citadel; the latter was desperate to relieve herself. "We shouldn't stay for too long."

"I'm almost done," Carrie informed. Pemba sensed a presence and narrowed her eyes. She never lost focus, even as Carrie emerged from the brushes. "What's wrong?"