~14~

I looked to Haiu, and I swear he had six different colors in his eye. That should have been impossible, but it isn't. He frowned, glared at me, frowned at me, hit his head, walked around the room, and finally cracked his neck and sat back down beside me.

"So, ah, now we need to figure out--"

"Nothing." I interrupted. "We've made a connection between them, maybe now they can solve it. I take the money, and then leave."

"Uh, hold on--"

"Wait, I know, you'll want your money too. We'll split it sixty-forty, and--"

"People are dying, and I want to know why."

"Then you can stay and I keep all the money. I'm leaving to--"

"You don't want to know why Risa tried to kill you?"

"She's always tried to kill me. I don't see what's wrong with her doing that. So, are you going to take the money or leave it?"

"I--what if this isn't enough information? What if they think you're only saying that because you hate robots? What if they arrest you because you've technically been holding a wanted criminal?"

"But--they--you--" I didn't finish. I growled and threw my laptop across the room before storming out. I wanted out of this damn house, out of this damn country. Then I'll be safe, and nobody can hurt me.

"But nobody can hurt you anymore."

I threw my hand out behind me before whipping around to see Haiu bent over. "Are you trying to make sure I never have offspring?" he squeaked. I actually laughed despite my mood, and I quickly stopped laughing. I covered it with a cough and turned away from him. "Leave me alone. Wait--how did you hear that?"

"You said it." he said, standing in front of me.

"I--what? Oh. Okay. Now go away."

"You don't want to dig any deeper? Find out more?"

"No, I--I'm tired right now. Bye."

"But later though, right? After you aren't tired."

"Sure, fine. Please go away." I muttered, pushing past him. And for some strange reason, he grabbed my hand. I yanked it away, scared if he would hurt me. What if he was angry and would carve out my organs? Risa tried that once.

"What?" I asked, backing away slowly. Confusion flickered yellow in his eye, and then it turned a light sky blue in realization. "I'm not trying to hurt you, if that's what you think. I just wanted to know where I get to sleep."

"Not in my room, there isn't any space."

"Well, yeah, but...where?"

"I don't know, the couch?"

"I'm too tall."

"The floor?"

"Too cold and dirty. And I'm allergic to pet dander."

"The garage? Don't you dare say too empty."

"Okay, okay." he said, raising his hands...hand. I kind of stared at the place his other arm should have been, and he was the one to back away slowly this time. "I'll...go now." he muttered, making me feel bad. "Ah, wait." I said, ducking into my room. I threw a pillow at him, and he looked at it, confused. "It's a pillow. To sleep on. If you need a blanket, let me know."

"I--um...thank you?"

"Okay. Good night."

"Good...night?"

I ducked back into my room. For some reason, I was cold. I wanted to hug something, too. I climbed onto my bed, wrapping myself around my only other pillow. I wanted to cry, but I didn't know why. I don't know a lot of things anymore. Why didn't Haiu hurt me when he had the chance? Why are they all cyborgs? Why am I so cold? Where is Dipstick?