Chapter 13: Revelations

Start from the beginning

“Your family then. They’ve been training you?” He frowned in frustration. “We had suspicions that the House of Fëanáro was creating weapons. How many do they have? What are they planning to do with them?”

“I promised them not to discuss it,” she replied apologetically. “But they’re not planning to use them. They want to learn swordplay for sport.”

Finno stared at her unconvinced. “You don’t expect me to believe that.”

Eve glared and stood straighter. “Actually, yeah, I do. You’re family to them. Especially to Káno and Nelyo. I can’t believe you, all of you.” She placed the blade down and gestured with her hands. “I mean come off it. All of you. Just sit down and talk!”

“I will do so if they will do so,” Finno bit back fiercely. “But they will not. They are blinded by arrogance and pride.”

Eve scoffed. “And your house is not? Please, Finno. Your father, you, Turvo, Iri. Even Aro. You’re all as proud of yourselves and your house as Fëanáro and his sons are of theirs. They may be a little less tactful about it, but all of you are the proudest group I’ve ever met.”

“And why shouldn’t we be? We have had to learn to be proud to stand strong alongside Fëanáro,” he argued immediately. “There is no secret that our grandfather has always held Fëanáro in a special place in his heart, and his sons also. We became proud to fight with that.”

“Fight?” Eve shook her head. “There is. No. fight. You’re family, in paradise.” she huffed and turned to him in exasperation. “What the hell has happened to this family? To everyone?” Sitting down in despair, she put her head in her hands and sighed. “Everything is changing.”

Finno frowned also and sat beside her. He leaned over and kissed her head. “I am sorry. You are in a unique position. As an adopted member of the elder house, and betrothed to me of the younger… it must be hard.”

She choked on a few tears. “I just want to help everyone back together. I don’t understand what’s happening. There are rumors and lies everywhere. This is madness.”

“Indeed,” he murmured. “But it is reality now.”

She looked over at him. “When was the last time you and Nelyo spent real, serious time together?”

He didn’t answer. Instead he stood, picking up her sword. He looked at it carefully and frowned again. “Here.” He offered it to her. “You should keep it, even though I am sure that Curufinwë has managed to craft something more elaborate than this for you.”

She took the hilt, grasping his hand as she did so. She lingered in that spot for a moment. “Thank you, Finno.”

He sat across from her, pulling a chair closer. When she had set the sword back in its sheath and laid it away, he quickly took her still shaking hands. He didn’t know if they shook from anger or from fear or sadness. But it didn’t matter to him.

“Eve, look at me.”

She did so.

“We will get through this.” He bit his lip for a moment as they stared at each other. He nodded again. “We will get through this. No matter what. Together.”

“Together,” she agreed.

Finno sent her a small smile. “Now. Want to see which of us is better at the sword?”

With a laugh, Eve shook her head. “Not today. Today, can we just… stay here.”

He smiled at her. “Of course.”

“Good.” Eve chuckled lightly and shook her head.

They sat quietly, not speaking, not doing anything but enjoying each other’s company. Moments later that peace shattered as someone rushed in the door and slammed it closed. Finno rolled his eyes with a rueful smile, turning to see who had come in.