9.

Sam frantically snatched his bag from the floor and dashed outside. I heard Peter call out some kind of greeting to him and the truck's engine chugged into life. 

"Honey, are you 100% sure that there's nothing going on between-"

"Dad. I'm warning you right now." I said in a low threatening tone to which he chuckled.

"I said nothing. I think maybe you just need to ask yourself some questions." He smiled and returned to the kitchen.

I rested my eyes shut for a few seconds. When I had said yes to whatever this agreement was with Peter I had not anticipated this much stress. I heaved a tired sigh, pulled on my shoes and stepped back onto the drive. 

Sam conversed with Peter through the open window, the bag on his back that drooped towards the ground probably weighing triple what he did. He was that typical 7th grader that ran to all their lessons. Bless him. 

Kavinsky caught my eye over Sam's shoulder and waved. 

"Long time no see!" 

I didn't reply and silently walked round to the passenger side of the truck, hoping he would read into my unfriendliness as a sign I didn't want to be there.

"Wo wo wo, Hughes, that seat's reserved for my little man over here." Peter gestured to Sam through the window. I stopped in my tracks and let my stony-faced expression do the talking. 

Peter looked rebuffed and busied himself with his seatbelt as I continued to open the door. I made the biggest deal possible in chucking my bag onto the seat next to Sam who had jumped into the back of the truck and then huffed in annoyance, fixing my gaze straight ahead.

"Wow. If I'd known this would be so much of a problem I wouldn't have come." Peter joked to Sam in the rear-view mirror.

"Don't mind Jamie. She's not much of a morning person." Sam told him.

"I've gathered." Peter laughed.

My brother, ladies and gentlemen. Honestly, that boy had no loyalty. Before Kavinsky had gotten involved in my life Sam had always seen me as top-dog, something that I had definitely taken for granted. I was starting to realise that letting Peter and Sam hang out was probably not a good idea, seeing as Sam was perfectly happy to let slip literally everything about my life.

 The truck pulled away from the house and with its poor suspension bounced down the road. 

"So, it's great seeing you and all," Sam began, leaning over Peter's seat, "but how come you're driving us into school?"

"That's a very good question." Peter replied, deliberately turning to face me. I scowled back.

"Peter and I are doing a sociology project together." I lied quickly, "We thought we could discuss it on the way into school."

Sam didn't say anything but I doubted he fully believed me. He was young but he wasn't completely stupid.

"Also Jamie realised I was a much better driver than her after Saturday." Peter smirked.

"Saturday?" Sam leant forward in his seat, interested.

I couldn't believe my luck. Peter Kavinsky didn't know how to keep his mouth shut for one whole minute did he? I shut my eyes, waiting for Peter to detail the whole story but there was just silence. I opened my eyes to find him looking at me tentatively. There was nothing else for it.

"Peter drove me home on Saturday, not dad." I explained to Sam in a calm manner. He looked from me to Peter for a few seconds, unable to say anything in his state of shock.