5.

Sam was in much higher spirits the next morning and practically pranced out of the door to the car as I locked up the house. Dad had left early for work and had put me in charge of making sure Sam had packed everything for his sleepover at this kid named Zac's house who he had met on the lacrosse team.

"Have you got all your stuff?" I yelled up the drive.

"Yeah!" He shouted back.

"Phone charger?"

"Yeah! Come on J, we're going to be late for the match!" He groaned, pulling on the door handle repeatedly. I walked up to where the car was parked.

"What's this then?" I held up the phone charger I'd found strewn across Sam's bedroom floor and he sighed and muttered an embarrassed 'thanks'.

"Right let's go." I said, energizing my voice to sound a little more upbeat for Sam's sake.

He turned the volume on the radio up to full for the whole way there which most definitely gave me a headache, but I wasn't complaining. It was good to see him back to normal again after his black mood last night.

=>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When we arrived, basically the entire school, teachers and all were milling around the car park and field much to Sam's distress.

"Hurry J." He pleaded impatiently. Not wanting to crash the car, I didn't follow Sam's advice and maintained a slow and steady speed, luckily nabbing the last parking spot next to a large truck. 

To my dismay, I had not succeeded in my mission of convincing Lara-Jean to come today and after a lot of guilt-tripping on my behalf over a two hour-long FaceTime I had given up trying. She had used scarily similar excuses to me when Peter had been practically begging me to come to the match yesterday, but when she showed me physical evidence of a science fair ticket I had to leave her in peace. 

Sam dashed over to a boy who I assumed was Zac and they began to natter about the other team's side arrangement, they were joined shortly after by a kitted-up Kavinsky and the three boys seemed to be getting on perfectly well. I had absolutely no plans of going over and joining the conversation.

I busied myself in the car, hoping I could avoid running into Peter today but Sam pointed over to where I was parked and Kavinsky sent a friendly smile in my direction. I silently cursed my little brother.

Putting on my best resting bitch face I swung myself out onto the gravel, folded my arms across my chest and walked over.

"You came!" Kavinsky exaggerated his surprise at seeing me.

"Obviously." I replied, stony-faced. Sam trod on my foot,

"J, please be nice." He whispered.

"Wouldn't have missed it for the world." I forced a grin and Peter laughed.

"I can tell." He looked at me for a while and seemed to be about to say something when a whistle blew and he shoved on his helmet.

"Wish me luck."

"You're gonna be great." Sam reassured him.

"You're gonna be shit." I smirked and Kavinsky rolled his eyes.

"Thanks for the support, Hughes"

"You're so welcome. Honestly, it's a miracle I'm here so don't expect too much from me."

He winked and ran to join the team in the center of the pitch. Sam took me by the hand and dragged me through all of the people collected here to watch the match. Sam was able to weave his way in and out of the small gaps in the crowd, I, on the other hand, was not, and got so many dirty looks as I barged past I lost count.