Chapter 2

**Louis' POV**

I really wish I hadn’t said that. Best friend? No, Emma’s more than that, she always has been. Ugh, I hate that word: friend. Why can’t I just tell her that I’m in love with her and that I have been for four years? Now would be a perfect time; with her leaning up against my shoulder, I can practically feel her heart beating through her shirt. God, she smells so good. No, Louis, stop. She doesn’t think of me like that. To her I’m just the funny best friend that leaves drawers open and gives her concussions.

“So, how’s your head?” I ask quietly, glancing down to take a look at her face. Damn, she’s gorgeous.

“It’s fine, Lou, just like it was five minutes ago when you asked.” She sighs and shifts her position on the couch so she can face me straight on. Her big brown eyes are piercing into mine and I swear my heart just stuttered. Shit, not good. Wait, what is she doing? Why is she leaning closer? About eight different curse words swarm around my mind as her lips make their way to…my ear. I sigh in relief—and maybe a little disappointment—and feel Emma’s breath on my stubbly cheek.

“Boo Bear?” She whispers. My breath catches in my throat and I swear I’ve forgotten how to breathe, but I manage to nod my head slightly. “Will you bring me to the store? I need to buy food for my mum’s thing tomorrow night.” She’s still whispering in my ear.

The way my body’s reacting to these simple words is just insane, I need to calm down. My hands find their way to her shoulders and I push her back slightly so I can look at her face again. I clear my throat and try to return to a sane state of mind.

“Sure, Em. Let’s go.” I say to her after a few seconds. She smiles and slaps her hands hard on my thighs, making a loud groan escape my throat. She laughs a beautiful, hearty laugh and starts walking out of the living room. I attempt to breathe normally and get my mind off of everything. I follow Emma to the front door of her house and grab my car keys that are on the counter. Emma turns around and asks if I’m ready to go. I mumble ‘yup’ and she takes my hand. I swear, it’s like a jolt of electricity just shot up from my hand to my heart. This is going to be a long day.