Prologue

War.

  War can destroy everything, destroy relationships, and tear friends and family apart.  People die and kill others.  War is a dark time.  But even with as much as it destroys, there will always be light, hope.  War can also bring people back together, unite for a cause...

*  *  * 

  I watched from the shadows, looking at my ex-friends before darting away, tears threatening to spill from my cheeks.  I've been banished from the base, disowned by the ones that I thought were my family.  All because I killed.  It was in self-defense, but they wouldn't listen.  They know that I wouldn't kill, not even when it was supposed to be the only option.  I was so close to being killed, my throat nearly slit all the way through.  I acted on instinct, acted on fear.  Yet, I've been pushed out of my family.  I didn't want to kill that monster, but I was dying, blacking out.  I dusted a monster.  They waited until I was well enough to be left on my own and now I'm running as far as I can. 

  Unknown to me at the time, a tall, angsty skeleton was watching me the entire time, tracking my soul until I left the territory.  He sighed, knowing it was only a matter of time before the other monsters realize what he had done as well...

[Dec 1, 2018]