Prologue: The Ritual

• Dedicated to Brilynn Schrader

When I upload new parts I may just add them to the page that is already there. So always check the last page you read before moving on to the next chapter.

Thnx for reading.

Hope you like it. 

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue: The Ritual

I was getting ready for my ritual. Something every girl my age does. It’s an honor and a great responsibility. I just turned eighteen, and it was finally my turn to do it. I have wanted to do this ever since I was five years old, when I saw my sister, do it. I remember it like it was yesterday. 

It's was a cloudy day, they looked like they were about to burst. I stopped looking at the clouds long enough to receive hug i remember she smelled like lilacs. The smell matched the dress she was wearing perfectly. The dress she was wearing was dark purple sleeveless dress that just barely covered her feet. I the embrace only last a few seconds but it felt like an eternity, i remember that she was strangely warm, hot even on this freezing night   

I remember her standing on the edge of an opening in the mountains that surround our village, with candles all around her, lit and beautiful. Then without hesitation herself, she jumped. I didn’t even have time to grieve because soon after, she was fling above me, with beautiful dark purple wings. My sister quickly did one more circle around and then landed silently

That’s how the women of my village receive their wings. That is also the only way to leave. Our village is completely surrounded by mountains. Even the opening in the cliff is closed, the only way to know that you are ready is when the opening, opens, and in the dirt on the ledge is a name. The name of the girl who is next to jump. This ritual is life or death. You either jump and fly or jump and fall to your death. However, no one has fallen to his or her death in over a hundred years. So I have nothing to worry about right?  

I finished getting ready, dressed in a long black dress, that matched my long raven black hair. I walked out of my room, and towards our front door that leads outside. I was so excited, i was shaking. Though that might have just been because i was freezing. My dress wasn't very warm it, it was just like my sisters but black.

I was almost to the edge of the cliff, my family and friends all there, when it started to rain. I couldn't believe it, how could it rain, now of all times. Deep down something felt off, like something was wrong. I just couldn't place, so instead i just shoo it off and continued to walk toward my family and friends. I gave each and everyone of them a huge, as they congratulated me. Though none of the parents looked very happy, all of the kids around my age looked generally happy for me. My parents looked fine before it started to rain, now they look about ready to cry. I was missing something, i just didn't know what and i didn't have time to think about it. I had to finish the ritual before the night was up, or i would never get my wings. 

 I walked up to the edge of the cliff. I felt a sharp pang of fear in my stomach. It was terrible. It felt like I was going to throw up. I was afraid to jump for some reason, but i couldn't think about that. So i swallowed the bile in my throat, pushed my fear out of my head and jumped.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When page ends like this I will most likely not add more to it.

Thnx for reading.

Hope you liked it. 

 Will update this as soon as possible, including all the chapters with possible new info and hopefully less grammer errors.