~Chapter Two~

After undertaking all the educational procedures, Maya was accepted by the University of Ibadan to double major in Linguistics and literary studies. Her father made accommodation arrangements in his hotel and she was given a penthouse suite.

Maya instantly fell in love with the suite. The lavender walls and the cream colored Victorian style queen sized bed made her feel at home. Hanging on the wall was a portrait of the beach, featuring the bright yellow sun and cream colored sand. She sighed.

"Oh the beach," she murmured absentmindedly. "I wonder if I could go there sometime."

Soon enough, Maya absorbed the campus reality, noting the stark difference between it and the campus in England. She however revelled excitedly in the fact that she was pursuing her passion and reconnecting with her highschool dream.

She went through the subject requirements and found that French Language was compulsory for freshmen. She soon made up her mind to start tutorials. Earning her own money had been on her mind since she left England.

Though Maya Lincoln preferred a mundane campus life, she still caught attention as news of her astounding intellectual prowess reached the ears of the university's board of directors. Holding tutorials for medical students while double majoring in linguistics and literary studies, there wasn't much to be surprised about.

******

"Ugh! I hate language subjects especially French."  William huffed, visibly irritated. He and Stanley were at the school notice board, checking their results for the last semester.

"Oh no," he groaned, scratching his head in frustration. "It's a freaking carryover. Can you imagine this?" he asked again, his face a mask of worry and regret.

"Yup, it's awful." Stanley answered in confirmation, patting William's back. "Don't worry mate, we're in this together." he said gesturing at the big red mark by the side of his name.

Shooting his friend a pointed look, William said "Is it just me or are you actually sounding excited about a carryover."

Stanley made a thoughtful face. "It's just you." he shot back grinning mischievously. William opted to ignore him.

Looking at the board again, William sighed. "We're screwed. This will surely affect our certificates." he lamented, biting his lower lip.

"I know." Stanley replied and heaved a sigh. 

"We should start attending tutorials." Stanley nodded tersely. "I'm sure they'll have a class for French language."

"Yeah, that's a good idea," Stanley said in agreement. "But that's a story for another day, right now we have a lecture on financial accounting. Let's go."

They were soon on their way. Trudging slowly along the almost empty hall way, they passed by the botanical garden. William heaved a sigh. He had always wanted to study botany, his being an only child however made him obliged to study business management and take over his father's firm one day.

The trees and flowers were swaying gracefully to the tune of the morning breeze. As he watched, they seemed to beckon home to join in. He brushed the thought aside, reminding himself quietly that he had to focus on a solution for his carryover. 

By the end of the week, Stanley had already found a tutorial class and signed them up.

"What the hell! No, no, no. I won't. I can't."  he deadpanned, his voice angry. "You know how I hate being taught by a female."

"It was the only French tutorial class available and people say she's good. Come on, we have to set our ego's aside if we want to pass this course."