Shattered

Leopold's Master didn't tell him until Halloween Night, the biggest monster hunting night of the year, that he decided to retire and he was going to be stuck with the newbie -- Miss Rayven.

He stared at her, she smiled brilliantly at him giving a soft little wave. Her gray eyes were soft as a soul floating away from a body and her rich dark curls were pulled away from her face by a  ponytail.

Leopold was not in the mood for this. He started to leave long before she started to follow.

"You step out of line and I'm going solo." He scowled.

She nodded emphatically, "Do you think we'll run into anything super dangerous?"

"There are some rare creatures, but it's the sheer volume that's the issue."

She followed him out of the building onto the busy streets.

Immediately a chill ran down his spine and he spied a creature snarling, cowering in the ally way waiting for a weak specimen to prey on.

"Werewolf, three o'clock." He hissed and Rayven nodded. They crept closer before the creature saw them and fled. Leopold gave chase and ran him into another ally before Rayven leapt adroitly over him using a bow and arrow to fell the beast.

He looked at her stunned as she smirked. That was only the beginning of a fabulous hunting night.

They finished bagging up a gargoyle they'd caught terrorizing the pigeons atop a building and were waiting for the elevator to take them back off the roof when Rayven sighed.

"Pity it's so late."

"Why's that? It means our shift is over, you've done a splendid job."

"I'm aware." She pulled out a sword and pinned Leopold to the wall. He'd been caught so unaware he'd dropped his dagger. Her gray eyes flashed silver. His breath caught in his throat, at last recognizing her.

"You're a Fext."

"Of course dear, you all thought we'd died in World War II and that it was a male gene. What utter nonsense." She hissed violently.

"Really you should pay more attention my dear." He pulled out a saber from his hilt casting aside her sword.

"Didn't you ever read a textbook? I'm immortal." She lunged with her sword only to tumble forward and have to somersault back onto her feet.

"I am aware that the only thing more shatterable than glass is a Fext facing glass bullets." He smirked and she glared at him.

"I dare say you started developing feelings for me before my true nature was revealed." Her eyes glittered.

"Too cliche, I'm not a Romeo and Juliet type of lover." He locked in combat with her once again. It was then that he realized the fatal truth. He had to kill her.

With his other hand that wasn't holding the blade steady, he took up his revolver loaded with four kinds of bullets for every threat -- including glass. He cocked it to the right place. Her eyes widened as he pulled the trigger.