023 | Death Threat

Halloween is not only all about trick-or-treating, eating large amounts of candy, dressing up or rejoicing because you get to see real monsters live. It's also about spooky stories, and this is why I'm writing one. Or, at least, I'm trying.

Every few minutes, I step away from the computer to rest my hands a little bit, but every time I get back to my desk, I watch the screen and realize that words that I didn't mean to write appear in red. Dismissing that as just me being short of memory, I reprise writing.

As I stand up to take another break from writing, I go to the toilet, letting go of my frustrations and negativity that has piled up in my mind during the latest months. I get back to writing, only to find more words in red, which I clearly didn't write.

Not wanting to lose concentration, I move on and keep writing. After a couple of hours - and two or three more breaks - I'm finally done and I can save the file. As I do so, however, I notice that the number of red words on the document has since increased.

Wanting to know why they appeared on screen out of the blue, I copy and paste them on a separate document. Then, I start reading aloud, realizing that they don't make quite sense altogether based on just a first impression. Though, when put together, they actually do make sense after all. So, what's the deal?

You'd better watch out. Nothing is like it seems in this world. If you want to find the truth out, you have to follow us in the underworld. You have very little time, so come and reach us before it's too late.

I stare blankly at the computer screen, wondering what this message means and believing it's a death threat. Nothing to be underestimated. Therefore, as I print the paper out and read its content aloud again, I realize that I need help.

I need to have this curse lifted off of me.

[345 words]

This is a short story for the contest by justwriteit for Halloween Vault - and it's the last in the Halloween Vault collection. Thank you so much for sticking around!