Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

“Citizens of New Mobotropolis!”

Kay heard the shout before she saw the source. She was still trying to remember where the event had taken place in her comics. Now, using the voice as a guide, she guessed it was the Civic Center.

“After considering all the volunteers (all two of them), I present your defenders of freedom at home…Team Freedom!”

Kay hurried around the corner and saw that a crowd had gathered outside of the Civic Center, looking somewhat unsure, but optimistic. Kay realized the source of the voice must have been Rotor, who stood with his arm outstretched proudly, introducing the four other members behind him.

“Hello, everyone!” A sweet voice called. Kay glanced into the air behind Rotor and saw Cream floating happily above him and a huge cat. “We’ll do our best!”

Kay moved in to get a closer look. She was scanning the crowd for Cream’s mother, who unknowingly held the Tails Doll in her arms. After a few moments Kay found her…and the cause of destruction to come. She decided to simply stand aside and watch the scene unfold, acting like just another citizen passing through.

Just then some people in the crowd were pushed aside and the hulking figure of Ixis Naugus, the impostor king, appeared with a smirk.

“So…” he said, scanning the small band of volunteers. “…these will be our defenders, should the doctor attack with unyielding steel and uncaring fire?” He paused to take another look and scowled. “You’d defend us with badniks? Two who have attacked you in the past?”

“Just as you fought us before?” Rotor countered. Heavy and Bomb rebelled against the doctor first. Tails and I recovered their primary cores and rebuilt them.”

Naugus moved in closer, growling. “The rest of the citizens believe I am enough to protect them! Those who don’t are – what? – this child and this simpleton?” He stared at them disdainfully. The large cat introduced himself, having no clue he’d just been insulted, but Naugus just laughed. “Tell these well-meaning, misguided few they are unneeded. My people, your king is all you need!”

Rotor crossed his arms and glared. “We are sanctioned by the Council and are here to help! One man can’t protect all of New Mobotropolis.” He looked at the crowd. “He couldn’t stop the Battle Bird Armada from blowing a hole through the heart of the city! And it’s thanks to Nicole’s nanites that we have our homes back at all!”

“Your words border on treason, walrus,” Naugus glowered.

Kay glanced to her left and realized that the doll was making its move even as the two of them bickered. The bulb on top of its head was glowing bright red, sending out waves of energy. Suddenly a section of the Civic Center vanished, and the entire building began losing stability. Kay stared at the doll. Its bulb was going dim once more. People began to panic and run away from the center.

“Shut up! Shut up!” Naugus grumbled, shaking his head. “Let me work! We’ll all be crushed!”

“Heavy! Big! Catch the Civic Center!” Rotor started shouting commands as his suit began to encase him. The two strongmen immediately did so.

The Mobians were all rushing past Kay, but she stayed put. She knew how this would end, and she wanted a front-row seat to the action.

Rotor lifted into the air. “Cream! Start air-lifting people to safety! I’ll join you in a minute!”