chapter six ~ found

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Asher?" she whispered, touching her cheek. "Elijah? Yvaine?" But there was nobody in sight. And so she moved further on.

Eventually, she came to a clearing. It was vacant but the remnants of the campfire smoked as though it had burnt out from the night before. There were a few large logs scattered around it along with a couple of items abandoned and distinctly out of place. Nimueh crouched to inspect them and her heart leapt.

She closed her hand around the sheathed blade of a dagger, and smiled. "Lucy."

One further glance around the camp revealed Susan's bow and quiver of arrows. It didn't seem likely that the Queens would be travelling alone and there were three more patches where the grass had been flattened, one of which had distinctly been made by a Dwarf.

Nimueh bounded back into the trees, back in the direction of Caspian's army. Her ears pricked when the silence of the forest was broken. Loading up an arrow, she called out to Caspian.

"Nimueh?" came a voice through the trees. She turned, bow raised, to the source of the snapping twigs and disturbed leaves, when a figure stepped out with his arms raised. "Woah, don't shoot."

Nimueh lowered her bow and couldn't fight the smile that cracked the surly expression that had often held her face captive since she had washed up on the Eastern shores. "Your Majesty, forgive me," she said, bowing low.

Edmund Pevensie strode over to her, one hand on the hilt of his sword, a familiar crooked grin on his lips. The two embraced firmly. "You took your time."

"I took my time?" Nimueh scoffed. "I've been with Prince Caspian; where have you been?"

Edmund laughed. "How are you?"

"Good, better now. Thank you."

"You're shaking."

"I know. How are you?"

"Glad to be back, though the circumstances aren't ideal."

Nimueh nodded. "Agreed."

"Ed, have you seen Lu-? Nimueh?" A young woman emerged from the tree, hurrying forwards.

"Susan." Nimueh's smile further grew as the Queen enveloped her in an embrace.

"You don't know how much I've missed you!"

"I have missed you too, Your Majesty." When Susan pulled away, a shadow fell on the General's brow. "You're looking for Lucy? Is she missing?" Nimueh's heart squeezed at the thought that the girl might have run into the Telmarines at Beruna, but before she could say anything, a cry rang through the trees.

"Lucy," Edmund muttered. "Come on."

The three of them scrambled through the undergrowth, weaving through the trees back towards where Nimueh had found the campsite. Susan hitched up the skirt of her dress and pushed on ahead.

"Peter!" she yelled as she rounded a corner and Nimueh stumbled a few steps backwards, her insides pushing on her spine. Edmund turned, seeming to know her mind, and offered her his hand with a simple nod. Nimueh took it steadfastly and allowed him to help her up the small hill, despite her body's protests.

As they came around a patch of bushes, she let go so that Edmund could draw his blade. But before she could properly acknowledge Lucy, Nimueh noticed the sword in Caspian's hand. Without hesitation, she loaded her bow, the arrow aimed at the Prince's chest.