Chapter 28: Lost Pendant

The group managed to get out of The Forest without any further interruptions. They exited the world of gloomy darkness of that existed beneath the treetops and basked for a short while in the light of the sinking sun. Then, just as they had before, the senior division students cast some spells on their juniors and then they all speedily crossed the gap bridging The Forest and the artificial woodland that wrapped around the majority of the college buildings.

After reaching the other side of the open space, they followed the seniors around the edge of the woodland until they were back at the main path leading to the college buildings. Throughout the short walk, the seniors spoke quietly amongst themselves and the juniors simply trudged along behind them in silence. Kason, who was walking next to Harper, felt too tired to talk. The adrenaline that had kept him going during the eventful time in The Forest had worn off and now all he wanted was a chance to rest his weary feet and get something to eat.

When they arrived back at the path, Philera turned and spoke to the children. "We've now officially finished our excursion into The Forest. I expect that you will all be rather tired and hungry so you should hurry back to your dorms." Her face then took on an expression of slight embarrassment, "I am, umm, sorry that things ended up being so dangerous. Make sure you go and see Kamadus if you're still hurt in any way, I'm taking Ledia to see him now so you're welcome to tag along if you want to."

She looked around at them for a moment longer and then said, "I don't expect I'll see any of you around the college so the next time I'll see you will be two weeks, which is when I think, the introduction fair is."

She gave them a bright smile, waved and then walked away, supporting Ledia with one of her arms, down the path that led to the main building. The rest of the Botanists said their own goodbyes to the group of children and went their separate ways as well, Perceval following in his sister's footsteps towards the main building while Hugo and James wandered off in the direction of the senior dorms.

Kaon sighed as he watched them leave. The sigh was one of relief for the most part, and as he gazed at their retreating backs, he couldn't help thinking that he was glad that it was all over. A small commotion behind him made him turn around, but it was only Lexia and Alford squabbling over something. Their argument ended shortly with Alford forcefully dragging Lexia off in the direction of the main building while calling back over his shoulder that he was taking her to see Kamadus; Lexia struggling futilely against his strong grip whilst complaining loudly that she was perfectly fine. After a couple of moments, Kayla chased after them, quickly telling Kason and Harper as she passed that she was going to Kamadus as well.

Now it was just Kason and Harper standing alone by the side of the path. They stood there for a short while in silence, then Harper spoke. "You sure you don't need to go see Kamadus? For your back or something?" Harper asked, looking towards Kason.

Kason slowly shook his head in response. Harper nodded absentmindedly and turned away from Kason. They then stood there rather awkwardly for a few minutes, staring down the path through the trees towards the main building. The sun was setting almost directly between the two stained glass windows on the front of the main building which were barely visible over the tops of the trees, creating an image of surprising beauty which made Kason forget momentarily about his tiredness. After a short while, the moment was broken by a chilly gust that blew over them and rustled the leaves in the trees nearby.

Harper shivered slightly and stamped his feet, "I'm going go back to the dorms, are you coming as well?"

Kason gave his head a slight shake and then nodded vigorously, eager to get back to the comfort of his dorm room.

They walked back to the junior dorms chatting about nothing particular and reached their destination after a few short minutes. They bade each other goodbye outside room 17f which Kason entered, while Harper walked the short few paces to his room further down the corridor.