Mute

What is that beeping? I move my hands to protect my ears from the noise, but I can't lift them. What's going on? I feel my self blink but I can't see anything. I can only register that it's bright, very bright. There is a pressure in my head that feels like my skull has been filled with a firehose. I blink again. Vague shapes float in silhouettes. I can hear my self in my head but my voice and mouth refuse me. I start to panic. My breathing increases and with each breath my heart beats harder and the beeping speeds up. It gets louder. The things floating around me begin to take a clearer shape. I see a rectangle — no, a light fixture just above me. Is that why it's so bright? I try lifting my hands again but with no success. Am I paralyzed? I wiggle my fingers. No,I can feel that, I think to myself. I begin gulping down air, so thirsty for resolution. The incessant beeping grows faster and louder and as it does I grow more scared. Finally things begin to materialize above and around me. Colors fade in. The rectangular light just above me is the only source of light. I can make out that I'm in a steel box of a room. No windows. The ceiling is mirror. I'm lying down — no, I'm strapped down. What's wrong with my head? I try shifting my head right, and I'm barley able to manage that. I see next to me a single machine with a large black screen blinking in intervals random numbers. It beeps every time the number increases — 140, 142, 143, 142. What is that? My heart beats harder and the beeping gets louder. What? It's measuring my vitals? I'm in a hospital? I scream, but the only thing that patters out is the sound of a very scared and pathetic grunt. I take in all the air my lungs hold and try screaming as loud as I can.

"..."

Nothing.

What is going on? Where am I?

I panic so much that my eyes flood and my nose runs and everything is blurry again. My mouth is so dry. The beeping gets louder.

Suddenly I hear a door swing open and then voices.

"What are his vitals?"

"B.P. 130 over 80. Heart rate at 142 Bpm's"

"Okay, he's hyperventilating, get him the oxygen mask. Okay Raddon, just take deep breaths, your absolutely fine, just breathe."

That voice, I don't trust it. They place a mask on me and my staggered breaths begins to regulate. The sound, that beeping begins to slow. The pressure in my head dampens and the liquid drips from my eyes. I try making out whats around me. I feel nauseous. I take deeper breaths hoping for aid.

"Raddon, just calm down and we'll explain everything, just relax."

A woman's voice.

I try yelling again. This time I manage to make my vocal box break and my words escape like I wish I could.

"Mom! Dad!"

"Just breathe," the voice says again.

Wait! What was the last thing... what? I gasp and my eyes widen.

"Aurora!" I yell with all the air I can exhale. "Where's Aurora?" I scream so loud my abs hurt.

"Raddon, hear me." The female voice sounds fierce. "You must calm down before anyone can give you answers, alright. This can all be explained if you just breathe and calm down."

My eyes begin to water again.

"Ok, sedate him."

I look and see another female in a dark maroon lab coat take a syringe from under the machine. She moves toward me with no remorse.

"Mmmmm" I mutter. I eye the lead female and shake my head at her.

"Nnn — No. I — I bre — breathe. Cc — calm" It takes everything out of me to just say that.

"That won't be necessary, Pathara, thank you." She says. Pathara stops, folds her hands and simply looks at me.

"Raddon. Take another breath. You are in no harm. My name is Aisin and I'm a Dr. Can you look at me Raddon? What do you see? What do you notice?"

My eyes shift around to the corners of the room. My site lands on Aisin.

"I —" I shake my head. Why can't I talk? I stay focused on Aisin. Her eyes are soft. A warm smile lays cheek to cheek.

"Raddon, you can communicate. What do you notice?"

Wait. Her lips aren't moving.

"Li — Lips." Is all I can muster.

"Yes Raddon. You can hear me." I stay focused on every word her lips aren't saying. "Raddon, communicate now."

I stop in shock and confusion. My heart pounds in my chest. The beeping of the machine increases in speed. I look at my self in the mirror. Im look hideous. Terrified. I'm bald; a large scar comes over the top of my head and ends just above my temple.

"Raddon. calm down or we will have to sedate you." I hear Aisin say. But how? I look back at her and then — communicate.

"Where am I?" I say in my minds eye.

"Very good Raddon. I can hear you."