XII

"Thanks, Hanji," you smile lightly and take the mug from her hand. "So how's the situation with the two titans?" You inquire, bringing the hot water to your mouth. You're careful to make sure it doesn't touch your lips—you've bitten them too harshly, too many times these past few hours and now they sting to the slightest touch.

"The titans?" Hanji laughs mischievously, "The situation is going phenomenally well! We've succeeded in isolating them in the segment closest to our gate and if my records are correct, the optimal time to catch them should be at twenty-two hundred hours, not because of the particular time of day but because previous research from expeditions indicates that titans are most active during..."

You close your eyes and take a large sip of hot water. Hanji's rants about titans used to bore you (almost to the point of intimidation), but now, they'd grown to become a peaceful excuse to tune everything out—Hanji included—and just dance through your thoughts. 

You shake your head to yourself. It seems like it's been ages since you last were able to just think and not have to physically do anything. Then again, at a time like this, you're practically yearning to be able to do something, anything to actually help out.

"I'm going to handle the situation with cadet Eren Jaeger," Erwin told you, "And I need you to make sure that nothing happens at HQ."

You crossed your arms. "Eren's not a cadet anymore, Erwin. He graduated. Andreally? You want me to babysit full-grown adults?"

Erwin mimicked your movement and crosses his arms as well, "Come on, (Y/N), we all know that he's not recognized as a soldier at this point. After tomorrow's court hearing, though, that might change. But that's why I need you to stay. Not to babysit anyone, but to make sure that no one starts talking."

You roll your eyes, "Talking about what? The latest Wall Sina magazine trends?"

Erwin stays silent for a moment while he considers how to phrase his next statement, "To make sure no one starts doubting the authority of the Survey Corps. In their eyes, we've let a titan into our ranks...if this court hearing doesn't get sorted out quickly, we're going to be getting a lot of dropouts."

You sigh. 

Scuttlebutt.

That's why you're camped out here in the mess hall.

You're eavesdropping on the scuttlebutt and redirecting conversation whenever people start whispering about the Survey Corps.

Hanji can also be pretty intimidating, so that's why she's with you. Though, the rate she's going at, she's probably long forgotten about your original goal at the mess hall.

"And so I'm thinking that if their skeletons take longer to disintegrate, maybe we can surgically remove them and study the chemical composition for comparison!" Hanji giggles, her mini-rant concluded in an awfully short amount of time.

Only forty-three minutes, thirty-two seconds.

"Looks like you're running out of topics to discuss, titan lover," you smirk at Hanji, "That lecture was less than an hour. Who are you and what have you done," you wink, "with the real Hanji?"

Hanji rolls her eyes, "Oh, so you want long? I'll give you long. Let's get into the mechanics of our 3DMG. See, the reason they work best in forests is because they were designed to function based on the structure of a titan. Here, get me a paper, I can show you how the arrangement of the arms simulate those of a tree and..."

You smile and sink a little deeper into your chair.

Hanji's titan talks are the best background music for your thoughts.