Chapter 0 - Awakening

“If you dont try,  you wont get better.”  Haru said bluntly looking her dead in the eyes.

She nodded vigorously. She wanted to get this right, being the only female swimmer was tough. She wasnt the type to give up easily though.

As everyone packed up getting ready to head home, Haru and her stayed in the pool getting extra practice wasnt going to hurt,  right?  Haru didnt mind either, he was going to spend more time in the pool anyway.

“Haru, Ill go get us some drinks for the walk back. Stay here,  okay? ” she said while drying off her hair, and she added a smile that brought a slight blush to his face so all he did was nod in response.

About 30 minutes passed and Haruka started to get worried. She didn't go that far, so he continued floating in the pool, until he curiousity and patience ran out. He began after her and as soon as sirens started to filled the air and Haru's heartbeat and pace sped up.  He didnt know how fast he ran, only that the wind was sharp in his nose, and that he didn't want her to have anything to do with that sound. He wouldn't let her. The vending machine wasn't that far a block at the most. How clumsy could she be?

His breathing ragged as he finally reached the source of his strife. There she was exactly as he thought, broken on the ground. Her favorite can of chilled coffee at his feet. She was still conscious, and her head was turned toward him. Her perfect eyes now dull in color, she reached out to him and mouthed a simple, but pain-filled,

"Haruka,"

He didn't know what do to besides stare. As the EMT'S helped her as much as they could before putting her on a gurney. Haruka then ran toward the sight reaching out toward her, before being stopped by officers.

"I have to see her!" he repeated over and over again. Before being sat down by the police, and questioned. Apparently, it was a hit and run. How could someone do that to her? Leave someone as amazing and important as her on the road to die?

“Haruka,” a strong hand placed itself on his shoulder as he snapped out of his horrid memory. Haru didnt move nor flinch to its touch. He was focused on was the person before him. Makoto squeezed Haru's shoulder to try and comfort him,  but to no avail.

“Haru, it's not your fault,” and with that Haruka looked Makoto straight in the eyes not rising from his seated position. He didnt say a word but like always Makoto could tell what his gesture meant.

Haru turned back to the girl in front of him and took her hand in his own. As he held her's firmly, he realized that maybe hed never get a chance to actually hold her hand.  He thought she'd always be there, because she always had been. Thered be no need to share his feelings, especially when they both obviously shared mutual ones. But right now they meant nothing to him while unspoken. 

Makoto sighed looking at his friend Haru,  even looking at his back he could feel his pain. It worried him that Haruka wouldnt ever forgive himself for this accident. It all happened so fast,  no one couldve helped her. 

"It shouldve been me." Haruka whispered squeezing her hand even tighter.

The beep of her heart sped up at the sound of that. Haru's head shot up at the sound of it. Was she going to wake up?

"I think you made her angry, Haru." Makoto commented laughing a little.

Her mouth quivered a little bit and her eyes squinted. Haru stood and hovered over her a little bit. His heart pumped fast inside his chest. He frowned down at her was she really going to do this right now?