He'd remember the moment when Finnick realised he would've cried if he was seven, instead of the words he said to bring the wave of empty horror on. All he could really notice was how much Peeta looked like a ghost in his seat, with quaking hands that held the arm rest a little too tight and cheeks so taunt that Finnick could see the formation of his skull underneath.

"She was arguably our favourite tribute, and I think what we all find most astonishing is that this girl was adored in the Capitol. And I think for you, Peeta, this must be particularly painful."

The words were supposed to cut right through Katniss' body to severe her head from her working limbs. But she didn't shed a tear like Finnick knew for a fact Peeta would've if the situation had been reversed, because Katniss's mother had told her the same thing Finnick's parents had told him.

She didn't cry or shake when the boy offered her a white rose unanimously known to belong to President Snow, and her sister barely glanced her way when Flickerman challenged the very brain that began a rebellion. Because every parent had taught their children that crying was for kids, and adults could only feel the most watered down version of the situation if they're to survibe the kind of world they'd been born into without permission.

When the door was slammed open, and Alma Coin herself gestured for a woman (that Finnick couldn't quite see) to join the Victors in their special seats, nobody really batted an eyes.

"I would- I would tell her to think for herself." Peeta urged on screen, right when a boney hand landed on Lillian's shoulder out of Finnick's line of sight.

When he turned to check Lillian's plate, Finnick had to take a second look before he felt like jumping out from behind his bench to wrip the hand away.

Standing in front of him was a willowy woman, with tattered hair that was knotted at the ends and a dangerous looking scar running along the length of her right arm; she looked old and weathered compared to the last time she'd seen Lillian Titan, but she was still the same woman Finnick had only heard about when he came from the arena.

When the two caught eyes Finnick recalled just how sadly Haymitch explained that she he'd left 13 almost ad soon as she arrived. Lorna was forgotten; all the woman seemed to care about was the rubble left in her District when she was asked to help the rebellion win.

"Evelyn." He whispered, disbelief crashing through him like he was the beach that got battered by a stormy day. He assumed that she'd died in the bombings when she went back to save her home- apparently not.

He was ready to ask her where she'd gone- apart of him was so worried about her being killed before Lorna came back even when she left the other Victor's to fend for themselves- but Peeta seemed to make the mentor's selfishness seem unimportant.

"Don't be a fool Katniss, I know you never wanted a rebellion. The things you did in the games were never intended to start all of this. The rebels have made you into something that you are not- something that could destroy all of us."

He stopped to gather what he wanted to say to try to make the girl understand, but he'd said enough.

"So if you have any power or any say in what they do or how they use you, please. Please earge them to stop this war before it's too late. And ask yourself, can you trust the people you're working with? Do you know what they really want?"