13. 𝗶𝗿𝗼𝗻 𝗱𝗮𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗰𝘂𝗲

Zacznij od początku

"Look, I know you're going through a rough patch without your powers--" Eszter scoffs. "But you have to understand why I had to do it."

"If you're here to lecture me, then I really think you should leave," Eszter snuggles back into her bed, getting ready to burrow herself deeper into her blanket.

"I'm not--okay," Tony shifts. Eszter huffs, sitting back up. "I really am here to check on you. As soon as I saw the news, I took the next flight home." The enhanced glances up at Tony; her glare drops as she gives him a soft expression. "I was worried about you, half-pint."

Eszter doesn't say anything but continues to stare back at Tony, whose brows were furrowed in concern.

"You wouldn't have to if you would just take this off," Eszter thumps the dampener.

Tony clears his throat as he looks away. Eszter shouldn't have expected anything different--Tony wasn't going to remove the dampener.

"Anyways, uh, I was just checking up on you . . . make sure you're okay. I'll call . . .? If you're okay with that, of course," Tony purses his lips when nothing happens, so he slowly stands from the bed.

"Tony . . ." The man stops midway at the sound of Eszter's shy voice. She sounded broken and scared, making Tony react quickly. "If you don't mind, I could really use someone to talk to."

Just the thought of Eszter wanting Tony to stay made him feel better about himself. After receiving the cold shoulder, it felt great to hear Eszter speak to him again. Tony missed Eszter. Although the Tower didn't feel like home, Tony did his best to make it feel like it were; always spoiling Eszter and getting anything in the world. Already feeling like a father, Tony was stressed by the rollercoaster Eszter puts him through.

Tony walks back to the bed and takes a seat beside Eszter, not expecting the enhanced to lay her head on his shoulder. He pauses for a moment, taking it in as Eszter got more comfortable. Letting out a soft sigh, the enhanced closes her eyes as she soaks in the comforting feeling. As soon as Tony heard about the incident at Washington, he would call Peter and give him a strong lecture, but his mind wandered to Eszter; he had nearly forgotten the enhanced had traveled alongside Peter.

The room is filled with silence as no words were exchanged, leaving Tony and Eszter to sit with nothing to say.

With a broken voice, Eszter finally speaks. "I almost died today," she sniffles loudly, wiping her eyes when a single tear slipped past her eyes. Tony glances down at the girl, frowning deeply. "We almost died . . .and--and I couldn't do anything about it." Eszter clenches her eyes shut tightly, pursing her lips closed together to prevent the sobs from trembling from her lips. The thick Sokovian accent was making it difficult for Tony to understand. "I haven't felt that feeling since I was living in Sokovia."

Tony felt guilty. "Kid . . ." He frowns deeply, pausing for composure. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. You, moving in with Pepper and me--I didn't want to put you into any more danger."

Eszter scoffs, sniffling once more as she lifts her head off Tony's shoulder. "Yeah, well--" the enhanced wipes her cheeks, staring at the wall with puffy eyes. "--apparently, that didn't work."

"I know you want the dampener off, but I just . . . I can't. I can't go against the law, Eszter. I'm different now--everything is different."

"But it doesn't have to be. I'm responsible with my powers. I never once used it against people," Eszter tries to reason. "You just don't trust me."

"I do trust you, kid," Eszter scoffs. "I do, it's just . . . not many other people do."

Then, Eszter jerks her head towards Tony, glaring with watery eyes. "I nearly died, Tony," she seethes. Tony stares gobsmacked at the enhanced at a loss for words. Eszter continues with her banter. "Is it because I'm a threat, or is it because my sister's a fugitive?" Tony couldn't say anything; he didn't know what to say. "You know, I always thought getting these powers means I could protect my people in Sokovia, but then everything went downhill."