Chapter 8

Anna was confused.

Many things confused Anna. The red tile leaning against the wall outside the blacksmith’s shop confused her. The nature of politics in the obvious decision of building a public chocolate fountain confused her. Kristoff and his sudden determination to be the best friend he could be confused her (not that she was complaining). Yet right now, in the forefront of Anna’s very confused mind, was her sister, despite the fact that she was walking alongside Diane in the midst of Arendelle while Elsa was back in the castle. It didn’t quite make sense why Elsa had not known she liked the fairer sex; after all, it was the queen who had guided Anna in her discovery. Did she fake her surprise? Maybe she hadn’t known that Anna knew she knew and maybe she knew she knew…this was all just a jumbled mess in her very confused brain.

Unless everything was purely incidental. Maybe Elsa had not known about Anna and the book was not meant for what it had done for her. In which case, Anna should be quite embarrassed and, knowing her luck, it was the most probable thing. Though if that were true, why would Elsa have the book in first place? For her own personal reading? Does Elsa like that stuff? But she digresses. Right now, she had a very important job to do, and that was to find the perfect location for Arendelle’s orphanage.

They attempted an early morning start, but Anna slept like a rock and it took a snowball down her back (curtsey of her thoughtful sister) to wake her up long enough to get ready and squeeze herself into her customary Arendelle dress, beautifully designed as all the others. Diane was almost as difficult to awaken, seeing as her work usually began later in the day, but somehow Angela was able to manage it once they were left alone. And what a wake up it must have been to have kept Diane so awake and alert!

The first place they thought of was to put it right in the middle of the Arendelle red light district. They took a carriage, but decided to walk the rest as to not raise a commotion that would distract them from their goal. Diane knew the place well enough…but the idea was quickly shot down for obvious reasons. While the people were certainly friendly enough, even if some were a bit strange, it wasn’t the most ideal of places. Somewhere close enough that the orphans may find it, meaning close to the district, would be perfect. Though Anna was still hesitant about children working, at least now they’d have a choice to stay in a nice home without worries. And a big yard. Maybe with some dogs. Or reindeer. Kids like those things, right?

“How about this place?” asked Diane, shaking Anna from her thoughts.

She looked up at the large abandoned building they stood in front of. It lay in a residential area a few blocks away from where the “darker side” ended and was surprisingly still in excellent condition, though a bit in need of repairs. They approached the nearest neighbor, who lived in a quaint little place, and knocked on the door. A young woman with a little boy clinging onto her playfully opened the door and gasped slightly with recognition at both Diane and Anna.

“Ah, Ms. Dahl. I didn’t know you lived here,” said Diane, with a kindness in her voice that Anna never knew she could produce.

“Diane, as much as I’d love to catch up with you and ask how the rest of the girls are, I’d like to know why you and the Princess of Arendelle are on my front porch,” said the woman, with a brow raised in suspicion. Her arms unconsciously tightened around the boy.

“Oh, um, right,” stuttered Anna while stepping up. “Sorry to disturb you Ms. Dahl. I just wanted to ask about the building next door to you. Is it in use and do you think you can tell us a bit about it?”

Ms. Dahl ushered her kid inside before answering Anna. “It’s been abandoned for a few years. A somewhat wealthy man once lived there, but he passed away and he had no children take it, so it sort of stands there. It’s not in use. I’ve been inside once or twice and it’s fairly large. There are several rooms and there is a yard in the back. Its condition was good last time I saw so I imagine it’s only a bit dusty inside.”