Scream in the Dark

Start from the beginning

He took his hand away, and moved it to my wrists with the other, rendering me defenseless and vulnerable. I kept my mouth shut. He gave me another sad smile.

"Sweetheart, you're gonna be alright. We just need get this sorted out, clear our names, and you can go back home." He began fiddling with the knot at my ankles.

"How long will that take?" I asked, my voice still and small.

He shook his head. "I don't know, sadly. But it's gonna be alright." He tried to reassure me. I felt a lump rise in my throat again. I forced the tears back into my eyes. They already saw me cry once, and I wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of seeing it twice.

Jaime put his hands on his head and began to pace. Mike's head was between his knees and he was breathing slowly.

"I don't wanna kidnap a little girl." Tony sighed. I think I even saw tears in his eyes.

The rope around my feet fell to the ground. I crossed my legs and sat, enjoying the small bit of freedom.

Vic looked down, wide eyed at my arms. The blood from where the rope cut me was smeared down my arms. My wrists were covered in crimson. He held my hands up to his lips and gently kissed my fingers. He began to untie my hands carefully.

"I sang to you tonight, didn't I?" A smile toyed on his lips. I nodded. "Bethany, right?" I nodded again. He actually remembered me...

My hands were free, but Vic continued to hold my arms gently in his hands. "Can we trust you, Bethany?" I nodded sheepishly once more. Vic let go of me and smiled. He got up went to another room, saying he would be back quickly.

"Can I get you anything? Food, a jacket?" Jaime asked nervously.

"Water." I squeaked, now realizing how dry my throat was. I felt so pathetic and weak. I choked on a sob. "Please." Tears began to stream down my face and I covered my face with my hands.

Soon, I felt myself being lifted out of the corner. My first instinct was to kick and fight, but a soothing voice calmed me. "Shhh. It's alright, Bethany. It's alright." I looked up into the face of Tony, holding me in his lap. He wrapped his arms around my small shoulders, rocking me back and forth. I curled up and sobbed into his shoulder.

"We're definitely going to hell." He sighed again.

Jaime returned with a bottle of water. I was scared to take it from him. But then again, if they wanted to kill me they would've done it by now and Tony wouldn't be trying to cradle me like a baby, and Vic wouldn't be gentle and sweet. I took the water and drank it gratefully.

"Thank you." I said, my voice shaking. It wasn't just a thank you for the water. It was a thank you for keeping me alive.

Vic returned with a blanket. He gently pulled me out of Tony's lap, and wrapped it tightly around my shoulders. He lifted me easily and sat me on the couch, next to Mike. I was still scared of the others, but I was terrified of Mike. He looked up at me, eyes red and puffy. Had he been crying?

Mike reached out a shaky hand, and stroked my hair gently. He shook his head slowly, lip quivering. "I'm so sorry." He broke off into a fit of sobs.

I felt the cushion next to me press down. I turned and saw the cheeky face of Jaime next to me.

"You're a fan, huh?" He asked lightly, obviously trying to ease me a bit. It wasn't working.

"Was." The word rolled off of my tongue. A look of hurt flashed over his features, but it quickly faded.

By now, they were all seated on or around the couch. Mike's weeping turned into silent tears.

"How old are you?" Vic asked, rubbing one of my bleeding wrists gently with his thumb.

"Yesterday was my birthday. I'm 15." I winced in pain as he brushed the sensitive skin. He kissed the cut from the rope immediately.

"Happy belated birthday then." Tony chuckled lightly, brushing a strand of hair out of my eyes.

"You should get some sleep. It's extremely late." Vic suggested. I didn't realize how tired I was until that moment, despite the fact that I'd just woken up. My eyelids grew heavy. Vic lifted me bridal style off the couch, and carried me to a room different than the one I woke up in.

"You can sleep in my bed, tonight." A red flag went up in my mind, and I stiffened, Vic must've noticed. "Not like that, darling." His voice was warm and almost comforting. I was still petrified and angry as hell, but I knew that he was telling the truth when he said they didn't want to hurt me.

Vic set my down gently on his bed, pulling the sheets up over my shoulders. He climbed in the space next to me.

I wanted to be home. I wanted to be with Joey and my cat. I wanted to eat ice cream and watch Sharktopus. I wanted Mom and Dad to be alive.

I didn't realize I was crying until Vic wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into his chest. I flinched at his touch, but eventually accepted the gesture. I cried into his shirt.

"She sits up high, surrounded by the sun..." He sang in a whisper.

I didn't know what was going to happen, but I knew one thing for certain. I had to get out.

How'd I do? I've never really done a story quite like this one yet, and I actually really like how this one turned out! Feedback would be incredible!
Another photo of Bethany and the chapter song, Props and Mayhem by (the "antagonists" of the story) Pierce the Veil.
-Gracie