Chapter 1

I wake up to my mom's excited voice probably about her boyfriend, Mr.Marcenson. She has been dating him since a few months after my dad died. He tries to be nice and acts like he knows me but the truth is he doesn't. Mr.Marcenson is okay he's just well..... not my dad.

"Get up! Get up!" My mom yells barging in.

She was wearing a bright purple dress and her hair was up in a high tight ponytail curled. Pieces of her curled hair lie gently on her shoulder.

"Yippee, your going on a date! How exciting!" I say sarcastically.

"I don't have time for your sarcasm, now get up your coming." She says with anger in her voice stomping away to leave but I stop her.

"Mom it's a date, I don't want to come." I refuse.

She turns back to me and sighs and sits down on the edge of my bed.

"Honey, John wants you to come to get to know you better so you are coming. Now get ready we leave in an hour." She says getting up and dashing out of my room.

I really don't have anything fancy to wear but I mean it's my mom's boyfriend it's not like I need to impress him. I slip on a baby blue t-shirt and dark denim skinny jeans. I brush my hair and put on some make-up so it didn't look like I just woke up.

"Hurry it's 11:30 and we are meeting him at noon!" My mom yells as I enter the living room.

Don't ask me why we are having a get together type of thing this early because I don't know.

"I'm ready." I say before she turns and gives me a disappointing face.

"Honey can't you um well find something more fancy to wear?" She asks examining my outfit.

"Mom, you know I don't really have anything fancy."

"Okay I'll go get you something to wear." She says going to her room.

A few minutes later she comes in with a white floral print dress.

"This should fit you." She says handing it to me.

I take it and then quickly get dressed. I walk out and see my mom panicking.

"Honey can you find my purse?" She asks putting in an earring.

I search around the living room and then the kitchen. I finally find it on the seat at the kitchen table. I grab it and hand it to her.

"Thank you sweetie, now let's wait outside for John." She says opening the door. Before she even had time to go outside, I dash out.

I sit on porch tapping my fingers repeatedly on the concrete substance. It's been a few minutes and I am getting anxious to go. I didn't want to go in the first place but since I have to I might as well get it over with. About five minutes later, Mr.Marcenson comes and I stand up starting to walk away.

"I picked these up for you, Amanda." He says handing my mom flowers.

I get in the car and wait for what seems like hours for them to get in the car.

"Finally." I mutter.

Mr.Marcenson drives for 10 minutes with complete silence. The radio isn't even on. Just to make this clear to everyone, Silence+No Radio=Awkward.

Just when I'm about the break the silence my mom speaks.

"So where are you taking us?" She asks.

"You'll find out in a couple minutes." He says with a smile.

We get to a Chinese restaurant and park. We all get out of the car but I, of course, was the first one to get out.

"I really needed to dress fancy for a Chinese place." I mumble to my mom but she is too distracted by the restaurant. She hugs Mr.Marcenson.