And the Snakes Start to Sing

I adjusted my thick curly hair and sprayed it with hairspray. No way I'm looking like a mess tonight. I thought to myself.

I stared at the picture of my mother and I on my nightstand, our smiles frozen in the frame forever. I' would've given anything to go back to that day, to feel her hug me one last time, to smell her perfume on my clothes. But I couldn't.

I shook the thought from my head and finished doing my makeup. I'd been dreaming of this day for years, and I didn't want anything to get in the way of my good time. I was going to see my inspirations, the guys who saved my life; Pierce the Veil.

I looked in my drawers, trying to find a nice outfit. Despite the heat and the venue being outdoors, I opted for jeans rather than shorts. I didn't want anyone staring at my scarred thighs, knowing about my destructive addiction. I threw on a tie dye shirt and black Vans.

I practically flew down the stairs. My older brother, Joey, chuckled lightly.

"Slow down, Speed Racer. You're gonna run someone over."

I smiled at him. "Sorry, Joe! I guess I'm a little too excited."

He smiled warmly and rubbed my arm. "You sure you don't want me to take you?" He asked for the millionth time. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Yes. It's time I start learning to take care of myself."

Joey was my life companion. After the incident with our parents happened, he took care of me. I was my happiest whenever I was with Joey.

I grabbed my car keys and headed to the door, Joey following close behind. I'd just gotten my permit, and I was enjoying my small taste of freedom. I pulled the front door open and stepped out onto the porch.

"No drugs, no alcohol, stay out of gangs, use protection-" I smacked his arm.

"Shut up, Joey! I'll only be gone for a few hours."

He looked at the ground, smiling. "Sorry, Bethie. I just don't want you to grow up just yet." He pulled me into a gentle hug, resting his chin on my head.

I hated keeping secrets from him. The first time I told him I self harmed, it almost broke him. He blamed himself. For three whole days, Joey didn't eat, sleep or talk. I couldn't bear to tell him I had relapsed a few weeks ago.

"See ya later, you filthy animal." I teased after we pulled away from the hug.

"Beth, before you go, I have something for you." Joey reached into his pocket, and pulled out a dog tag around a chain. I smiled. He brandished the necklace. Joey Christian Smith was engraved on it. He put the necklace over my head, and adjusted it. "I have a matching one with your name." He reached into his shirt and pulled out an identical chain, with Bethany Jane Smith engraved on the silver metal. "This way, we'll always be together. You'll be with me and I'll be with you."

I hugged him one last time. He kissed the crown of my head lightly before whispering, "I love ya. Stay safe."

"Love you too, you damn dirty human." I turned around and headed towards my car.

"Make good choices!" Joey shouted at me as the engine roared to life.

Tonight was gonna be wicked.

••••••

The concert was amazing, as to be expected from PTV. Vic even sang Yeah Boy and Doll Face to me. I struggled to keep from crying as he held my hand on stage.

I was walking on air as I strutted back to my car, still smiling like a goofball. I couldn't remember the last time I was this happy.

"Casey, why the fuck would you do this to me?!" A voice shouted. I stopped dead in my tracks, contemplating what to do.

"Mike, just calm down and don't do anything stupid." Another voice, which I assumed belonged to whoever Casey was, replied.

"You were one of my best friends! What the actual fuck, dude?!?" Mike yelled again.

I walked quietly over to the source of the shouting. Two tall silhouettes stood in the flickering lights of a dark alleyway. One of them sounded extremely familiar.

A noticed a shape in the nearly burnt out streetlights. A gun. What the hell?

"You took Amy. You took her from me. Now, I'm gonna take you from her." Mike hissed. He extended a tattooed arm and pointed the gun at Casey. I didn't like where this was going.

Suddenly, Casey lunged at Mike, fists flying. They wrestled on the ground for a minute, before a shot rang out. Blood pooled on the ground almost immediately.

"I didn't mean to! I didn't mean to!" Mike rubbed his face with his hands. Casey laid on the ground, mouth hanging open. He wasn't moving.

Was he dead?

"Holy shit. Holy shit." I said louder than I intended. Mike's head shot up, looking in my direction. I quietly prayed that he didn't see me.

I took off running. But unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough. I felt arms wrap around my waist and lift me up off the ground. I began kicking and fighting, but I knew that there was no one around to save me.

I was soon thrown into a trunk. I turned my face, ready to see who the stranger was.

I stared up into the eyes of none other than Mike Fuentes.

Hello, readers.

I'm not really sure what to put here, so I'll just give you a few things. Attached is the photo of Bethany and the chapter song, And The Snakes Start To Sing, by Bring Me The Horizon.

So...yeah...

Happy reading!