Chapter 6 Big Red's Last Day

Today was Saturday. Nancy was sitting on a chair in the main office of the Animal Shelter.

As she handed back the adoption forms, one of the employees (Sadly, it was the one who hit Big Red.) quickly looked over the papers.

"OK Nancy. He'll be waiting for you tomorrow."

Nancy smiled, said her thanks, and walked to the room that held the dogs. She was planning on spending extra time with him today.

This time, when both friends were outside, Nancy decided to do something a little differently. Instead of playing fetch and giving Big Red kibble, she unclipped Big Red's leash and walked around the whole yard with him for two hours.

After they were done, Nancy led the almost adopted pit bull to his cage.

Then she ran to her car and drove home. Nancy wanted to make her house ready for Big Red tomorrow.

Nancy would have spent more time with Big Red if she only knew what was to become of him.

---

It was 12:59 AM and it has just turned Sunday.

Big Red looked up from the corner of the cage he was laying at. He saw one of the employees that worked at the Animal Shelter.

Big Red has seen all the people who worked at the shelter. Or so he thought.

This employee was a woman who was wearing a white lab coat.

Big Red let her put the muzzle on him and was led to a room that was completely new to him.

Poor Big Red. He thought he was getting a treat. If only he knew what was happening, he would have attacked her.

The woman in the white lab coat shakily picked up Big Red and laid him down on a stainless steel table that was covered with a very thin layer of paper.

Big Red looked at the woman as she pulled out a needle and filled it with a strange type of liquid.

Big Red growled as the woman walked to him.

"I'm so sorry." She said.

Big Red stood up to bite her, but was greeted with the needle going in his side.

At first it hurt, but then it felt all tingly and warm.

The tingling sensation spread from Big Red's side, to his legs, and to his head.

He slowly began to feel sleepy and decided to lay down.

Soon sleep took over Big Red, and he closed his heavy eyes into an internal sleep.