No More Pretending

Serena awoke the next morning in her bed. She wasn't sure how she had gotten there, which worried her slightly. She had missed Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts. She rolled over and realized it was lunchtime. Great. It was the last day of classes and she had already missed half the day. She rolled out of bed and noticed that the snow was still falling. She changed into her school robes, brushed her hair and her teeth and made her way to the Great Hall.

Maggie, Jade and Olivia were gathered around the table. They seemed to have already finished their lunch. It wasn't until Serena sat down next to them that she realized she had a splitting headache and didn't have much of an appetite.

"So how was last night?" asked Maggie in a teasing voice.

"Oh shush," said Serena putting her head down on the table. "I'm in so much pain. It's too loud and too bright in here."

"Take this," said Jade as she handed Serena a small flask.

"What is it?"

"It'll help with the headache," she said. Serena gulped it down and it instantly started working.

"Thanks," she said as she put it on the table.

"Okay so spill," said Olivia. "Where did you disappear to with Wood last night."

Maggie, Olivia and Jade all leaned in closer to hear what she was going to say.

"He - uh - he took me on a ride...on his broomstick," said Serena reminiscing from last night.

"I hope that's code for his wanker," said Jade. All of the girls busted out laughing.

"No, no, no," said Serena laughing. "Like his actual broom. We went to the Quidditch pitch and he took me to a secret place...it was beautiful atop the mountains...I just wish I wasn't so drunk so I could remember it better."

"Where is this secret place?" asked Maggie.

"Can't tell you, it's a secret," winked Serena.

"Oh never mind that," said Jade. "Did you shag him?"

"No," said Serena. At least, not that she remembered. She still had no idea how she ended up in her bed.

"Your story just got boring," said Jade as she turned back to her Potions essay.

"I think it's sweet," said Maggie. "I'm happy for you."

Serena smiled and looked over at the Gryffindor table. Oliver wasn't there which struck her as odd. They had Transfiguration together in fifteen minutes.

Oliver had shown up to class ten minutes late. McGonagall took five points from Gryffindor. He looked like he had a rough night as well. Serena thought that maybe he had overslept just like she had done. At the end of class, Oliver approached her immediately.

"Hey Serena," he said.

"Oliver!" she exclaimed. Maggie and Olivia giggled before walking off.

"You feeling okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, you?"

"I'm fine. I overslept all morning...that's never happened to me before. I guess I drank more than I thought."

"Yeah same. I missed Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts."

"Well at least you didn't miss much in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Lockhart is worthless."

Serena laughed.

"Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed spending time with you last night."

"Me too," she said with a smile. "Also...how did I get back into my dorm?"

"Oh," he began. "Well after you fell asleep, I brought you back to your common room. Luckily I found Maggie and she carried you back to bed."

"Oh good, that's a relief," she said. "I was scared Marcus or somebody had found me."

"No, I assure you that you were well looked after," he said with a smile.

"Well thanks," she said. "For everything. You going home for the holidays?"

"Yeah, mum and dad are taking me to Egypt to visit some of our family that lives there. I'll try to write you as much as I can."

Serena had gotten butterflies in her stomach.

"I'll write to you too," she said with a smile. "Listen, I've got to go. I've got to finish packing the rest of my stuff."

"Okay," he said. "See you after the holidays."

Serena wanted to kiss him, but there were too many people around and she wasn't ready for anyone to know about the two of them yet. She just gave him a small kiss on the cheek before she sauntered off.

Oliver was feeling guilty and it made him sick to his stomach. He was falling in love with Serena and the only reason he had even started being nice to her was because of a cruel plan. He felt terrible lying to her and he desperately wanted to tell her the truth, but he knew that would end badly. Badly - as in she wouldn't ever speak to him again.

He marched back to the common room where he found Fred and George.

"I can't do this anymore," he said as he approached them. The two of them seemed to be deep in conversation.

"Do what?" they asked.

"I can't pretend to like Carrow anymore. It feels wrong - and - I just - I just can't do it," he said fumbling on his own words. Fred and George stood up.

"You're actually falling for her, aren't you?" said Fred.

"That he is," said George. "The only time I've ever seen that look on his face is when Gryffindor wins a match."

Oliver ignored them and slumped onto the giant sofas next to the fire. Fred and George followed him.

"I can't keep hurting her like this," he said quietly. "The only reason she likes me is because I was pretending to be someone I'm not. I'm not the romantic guy who comes and sweeps her off her feet."

"That's all well and good, mate," said Fred. "But, is that what really matters?"

"Does she care about you in the same way you do her?" asked George.

"I dunno...I think so," he answered.

"Then what's the big deal?" asked Fred. "Just pretend this was never a plot to win the Quidditch Cup. We've already beaten Slytherin, I don't see a point to keep in going anymore."

"She'll hate me if she ever finds out," said Oliver.

"Okay, so don't tell her," said George. "She doesn't have to know. You like her, right?"

Oliver nodded.

"And she likes you, right?"

He nodded again.

"I'm not seeing a problem here, are you Fred?"

"Nope, no problem."

"But - she's a Slytherin," said Oliver.

"I still don't see a problem," said Fred. "Serena Carrow is one of the hottest babes to ever attend this school. So what if she's a Slytherin? That just makes you look cooler."

Oliver smiled slightly. He would just have to pretend that this was never a treacherous plan to win the Quidditch Cup. He would just go on as normally as he could. It was the only thing he could do. Now, as long as Fred and George keep their mouths shut, he didn't see how anything could go wrong.