I stared at Alex in disbelief. "What did you just say?"

"The feeling is mutual. Ivan can't stop talking about her. I think that guy is smitten," he chuckled, making a sharp left turn.

"Alex!" I yelled, nearly hitting my head on the window. "Why do I still accept your offers to drive me around when this isn't the first time you've nearly killed me?"

Alex laughed. "Because you love me. Plain and simple."

"Tell him to show his feelings!" Angelica screamed, disregarding the fact that her boyfriend almost sent us to heaven. "He acts so cold toward her. The poor girl thinks he's not interested."

"Geez, baby, calm down. I'll pass the message along to him," Alex said, looking at Angelica with a small smile. "I'll do anything for you."

He then glanced at me through the rearview mirror. "What about you? Should I pass a message to Zane?"

My mouth hung open, and without thinking, my hand smacked the back of his head.

"Ouch," Alex rubbed the spot where I hit him and turned to glare at me. "What was that for?"

"Keep your eyes on the road, dumbass. And no, thanks for the offer."

I heard him snicker as he continued driving. "The offer will always stand for you. Just give me a call. You know I hate seeing you two bickering, right?"

I rolled my eyes and remained silent.

I hate it too.

I hate fighting with him.

I hate pretending to hate him when I actually want to be close to him.

I want to hear his laughter, his stupid jokes, his mischievous plans, and learn about the big goals he set for himself.

Did he achieve them? Did he face any setbacks? What has he been up to?

I want my best friend back.

But can I endure the same pain I went through five years ago?

Can I?

Can I witness him with another girl?

Can I see him choosing me over someone else?

I can't.

I fell in love with him.

And that was never part of the plan.

"The place is so crowded. Goodness, will you manage to find a parking spot?" Angelica's voice brought me back to reality.

"I hope so. I'll drop you two off here so you don't have to walk too far in those Louboutins."

"This is Versace! I don't even like Louboutins. When will you ever get that right?" Angelica huffed, opening the car door.

"Sorry, babe. But I'm pretty sure it was Louboutins last week."

"That was last week, darling. I'm a completely different person now."

Angelica is so extra. Like mother, like daughter.